Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 12:38 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Don't use a property manager.

It's not that they're ALL bad, but too many are for you to take for granted that the one you hire will take care of things.

If you can't find a way to do it yourself, sell.
With all due respect that's plain ridiculous. Just as in all professional areas there are good and bad operators and as long as one pays due diligence there will be few, if any, problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 12:40 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
If a home owner is moving out of the area and wants to rent it out rather than sell, should a property management company be used?

The out-of-area owner would have a difficult time checking on the renter's maintenance requests and arranging repairs.

Do most home owners rent out their own property on their own (without a mngmt co) while out of the area?
I was an out state landlord for one year and I recommend against it. A tenant will never care for your place like you do. However, if you do, make sure the property is inspected annually. Do not believe anything the tenant says. I do not trust property management companies. Make sure they take pictures when they inspect the property.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:33 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
In FL a lot of the owners of condos are out of state and they list the property with a realtor from a real estate company in the area. If the tenant has a problem usually they call the realtor who sets up things to get fixed. I am not sure if this is more costly then a PM company though.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:32 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Don't use a property manager.

It's not that they're ALL bad, but too many are for you to take for granted that the one you hire will take care of things.

If you can't find a way to do it yourself, sell.

Due diligence. If you just hire the first PMC that comes along without doing any investigating yeah you can get a bad one. There are lots of ways to find out who are the good and bad ones.
I've hired and have worked for both good and bad PMCs

Old 05-28-2014, 08:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Oh, I just wanted to chime in on one thing. Don't trust online "rating" websites. I looked online for my daughter for reviews of the PMC she hired, and there was weirdly NO info online. No ratings, nothing. And this company had been around for something like 20 years.

Well, all I can figure is that they hire one of those reputation scrubbing services, where they basically harass websites to take down bad reviews.

You could think that maybe the problem was that we were the only people who thought they were bad, but then why weren't there even any good reviews? The void was just too weird.

At any rate, don't trust online reviews to make your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting