Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 04:23 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

I don't think that I could ever live in this situation again. The rent is inexpensive for Los Angeles, but my landlord is constantly "inspecting" the common areas and even my bedroom to see if I turned the ceiling fan off. She doesn't work nor does she leave the house much, so she's constantly there. I go back to Texas once every month and a half for business and visit out of town friends on the weekends, but living with her drives me crazy. I miss my freedom so much. Is this a normal situation?

Old 05-28-2014, 05:49 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
No. It's not normal. You have a reasonable right to privacy. She cannot just go in your room. That is your domain that you are paying for. I would put a lock on the door and tell her she has no permission to go in your room.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
No. It's not normal. You have a reasonable right to privacy. She cannot just go in your room. That is your domain that you are paying for. I would put a lock on the door and tell her she has no permission to go in your room.
She claims that leaving the fan on is a hazard and will burn the motor. Other examples: I wanted to not flush the toilet so much since we are in a drought. She nixed that quickly and she's constantly disinfecting the toilet. The tub and bathroom sink do not drain properly. She wants me to tell her every time it happens (about once a week). Hint: hire a plumber and clean out the pipes. She initially disliked it when I turned lights on in hallway and outside lights when I left the house for a short nighttime trip. I don't like entering a non-lit home. She insisted on buying a little night light instead. She eventually came around to my way and lets me leave the lights on. All appliances/fixtures in the home date back to the '50-'60s-70s and fragile. Hate to use anything in this house for fear of breaking it.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:56 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Why don't you just give her notice and leave?

Old 05-28-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Why don't you just give her notice and leave?
I only pay $815/mo in uber-expensive Los Angeles. If I moved, I could look forward to paying $1,000+/mo plus util and cable/internet. Then, there's always the hassle of moving and paying security deposits and possibly last month's rent. I'm looking to move back to Texas provided that I can find a job over there. Even rents over there have climbed due to the Californian/hipster invasions.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:29 PM

7 posts, read 14,607 times
"She claims that leaving the fan on is a hazard and will burn the motor" she owns it, she will pay for it once it burns out, you won't, so deal with it

:Other examples: I wanted to not flush the toilet so much since we are in a drought. She nixed that quickly and she's constantly disinfecting the toilet." Sounds fair to me. She probably paid for the toilet and without proper cleaning, they get destroyed and she'll have to buy another.

"The tub and bathroom sink do not drain properly. She wants me to tell her every time it happens (about once a week)" Welcome to being a tenant. You need to report issues. That happens even if you rent alone without the landlord there.

"She initially disliked it when I turned lights on in hallway and outside lights when I left the house for a short nighttime trip. I don't like entering a non-lit home. " This is picky....But it is annoying to be paying half the bill of someone who wants lights left on..Really? Why do you need the lights on when you get home? That's just you being weird in my opinion.

"All appliances/fixtures in the home date back to the '50-'60s-70s and fragile. Hate to use anything in this house for fear of breaking it."

MOVE. Dude, really? Pack your **** and go. I have lived with tenants before and while I wasn't this picky, I definitely put my foot down on things because renters destroy your **** and don't care what you have to pay for. That's you. Until you own (assuming you don't which is a fair assumption based on what you are writing), you won't understand.

Move or shut up.
/thread.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaStateHiker10 View Post
"She claims that leaving the fan on is a hazard and will burn the motor" she owns it, she will pay for it once it burns out, you won't, so deal with it

:Other examples: I wanted to not flush the toilet so much since we are in a drought. She nixed that quickly and she's constantly disinfecting the toilet." Sounds fair to me. She probably paid for the toilet and without proper cleaning, they get destroyed and she'll have to buy another.

"The tub and bathroom sink do not drain properly. She wants me to tell her every time it happens (about once a week)" Welcome to being a tenant. You need to report issues. That happens even if you rent alone without the landlord there.

"She initially disliked it when I turned lights on in hallway and outside lights when I left the house for a short nighttime trip. I don't like entering a non-lit home. " This is picky....But it is annoying to be paying half the bill of someone who wants lights left on..Really? Why do you need the lights on when you get home? That's just you being weird in my opinion.

"All appliances/fixtures in the home date back to the '50-'60s-70s and fragile. Hate to use anything in this house for fear of breaking it."

MOVE. Dude, really? Pack your **** and go. I have lived with tenants before and while I wasn't this picky, I definitely put my foot down on things because renters destroy your **** and don't care what you have to pay for. That's you. Until you own (assuming you don't which is a fair assumption based on what you are writing), you won't understand.

Move or shut up.
/thread.
you sure are BITTER. You're most likely gouging your renters to pay for overpriced realty that you paid squat for when times were good and homes were cheap. why don't you see anything as a cost of doing business? Your hit piece is obviously slanted toward the greedy landlord perspective since that's what you appear to be.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:29 PM

7 posts, read 14,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
you sure are BITTER. You're most likely gouging your renters to pay for overpriced realty that you paid squat for when times were good and homes were cheap. why don't you see anything as a cost of doing business? Your hit piece is obviously slanted toward the greedy landlord perspective since that's what you appear to be.
Damn straight! Welcome to capitalism and America! I don't care if my mortgage is $100.00 a month, I will still charge you $1,700 if the market calls for it.

You will learn as you get older or when you mature and buy something of your own. Trust me. Good luck

Old 05-28-2014, 10:37 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
You get what you pay for.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:27 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I only pay $815/mo in uber-expensive Los Angeles. If I moved, I could look forward to paying $1,000+/mo plus util and cable/internet.
Sorry, but that's too bad. When you rent a room in someone's private residence it's quite different from renting an apartment which is your own space. It's not an abnormal situation at all but the restrictions bother you so your only alternative is to move. If you can afford to visit out of town friends on the weekends then you can probably adjust your expenses where this and other expenditures are concerned and afford a little more rent to live somewhere more in keeping with your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting