Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 PM

1 posts, read 2,429 times

Advertisements

My Wife, 2 year old Son and I have been living in our "new" rental house for a month, now.
It had obviously been quite some time since the grass had been cut, as it was about 3 feet tall, and the last tenant left the refrigerator in very disgusting condition, because the agent that showed us the house warned us not to open it, until the owner had gotten it cleaned.
Then, we were offered a $200 discount of our deposit, in exchange for the landlord not cutting the grass or cleaning the refrigerator, before we moved in.
I felt that the work was worth more than $200, but my Wife had already agreed, so that was that.
At the lease signing, the property manager, again, warned us not to open the refrigerator until we were ready to clean it out, because the smell was so bed.
We moved in, took the refrigerator out on the back deck and found out that, other than being disgusting, the "rails" to every single shelf in the refrigerator and freezer doors were either broken or missing. Meaning that it was impossible to store anything in the doors.
I immediately emailed the property manager about the rails. She responded that they could see about getting replacements, so I researched and found the least expensive parts and sent her diagrams, part numbers and websites for ordering the parts.
My Wife scrubbed the refrigerator til it looked brand new, let it air out on the back deck for 2 days, then we brought it back in.
We threw in 3 boxes of Arm & Hammer, plugged it in, adjusted the temperature settings and went to bed.
The next morning.....nothing!
It did not get cool, overnight.
The light comes on, you can hear the "motor" running, but even after 2 days, it will not get cold.

Long story, short...the property manager is now saying that while the lease states that a refrigerator IS included, it also states that there is NO warranty offered AND it is our responsibility to repair any appliances that break while we live here.
So, basically, they won't fix it and it sounds like they want US to pay to fix it.
However, in the "Pre Move In Inspection" form, that we were given at the lease signing and told to return in 3 days, we noted that the refrigerator was "very dirty/moldy, has several broken or missing pieces and is unusable".

Also, we filled out a "punch list" of repairs the house needed and returned it within that same 3 day period. The owner's "handy man" came the next week and started, said he'd be back later that week and never showed up. He finally came back the following week, did some work, said he'd be back in 2 days to finish. Again, he never showed. Now, it's been another week, with no handy man, repairs that either need to be done (or redone) and no answers from the property manager.

On a side note...we were told the best way to reach the property manager was through email. She almost NEVER responds and when she does, it takes a week, and most of the time she doesn't answer any of our questions. She just talks in circles. We've tried calling, both the business number and the "emergency" number. She never answers either.

What are our options?
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 08:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,314,714 times
Sorry, hon, but you had lots of clues you'd be dealing with this type of landlord. 3 foot tall grass? Refrigerator you can't open because it's so disgusting and stinks?

You can't seriously be surprised about what you're now dealing with.

For help, google your state and "landlord tenant laws." Then google your state and "tenant legal aid" or "tenant union."

These issues are probably not bad enough to be "habitability" issues, so you may not be able to break your lease for these types of repairs. But, read your laws to see what your options are.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:34 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,729,893 times
If your lease says that you can use the fridge that's there, but that a fridge is not provided by the LL, then you're out of luck. Go buy yourself a working, used fridge, and put the other one outside and tell the LL to get rid of it - it's junk now. Too bad you wasted all that work cleaning it!

If the repairs are minor, there's not much you can do except live with it. But if they're major issues that make it impossible to cook, shower, lock up, live in the place, then you've got a fight on your hands.

And yes, this is a crappy situation. Plan on moving at the end of the lease.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:27 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,290,060 times
Ugh yeah you're dealing with a slumlord. You need a fridge. Just plan on taking it with you. There is no way in hell you should be liable for any repairs.

Always assume however you see the place at the time of the showing assume that's the way you will receive it.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:21 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,314,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Ugh yeah you're dealing with a slumlord. You need a fridge. Just plan on taking it with you. There is no way in hell you should be liable for any repairs.

Always assume however you see the place at the time of the showing assume that's the way you will receive it.
Well said!

I just tried to rep you and got the message that I have given out too much rep in the last 24 hours, so I can't rep anyone for awhile LOL! I'm just a reppin' fool, I guess.

So, here you go...

Old 05-29-2014, 03:07 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,902,313 times
In this case the fridge is all on the landlord...not you. If this had happened 3 mths from now, yeah it would be on you (based on what you said the lease stated)

But you had more than one huge, giant, flying in the wind red flags that you chose to ignore....I wonder why? grass that 3ft tall? A fridge you were warned not to open?

At this point you have no choice but you get yourself a used fridge. Make sure you document that the fridge is yours, bought by you, so when you leave the landlord doesn't claim it for himself. ( I really hope you took pictures of the yard and this fridge when you moved in)

I wouldn't say he's a slumlord...I'd say he's a lazy landlord or a new landlord.

Old 05-29-2014, 11:43 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,579,492 times
Sorry, but even though I believe this company should be reported, you are the one who signed the agreement and went along with $ 200 as a settlement fee and signed to be aware of the condition.

That was not the smartest thing to sign and you are stuck with that, regardless of the management worth to deal with but you have not much choice.

If there are more issues they don't act on then issue a 14 day notice to get the work performed (in writing and in some States it may be a 7 day Notice) by the Landlord. Send it certified so you have proof. If they don't do anything than you have a legal right to break your lease which is not what you probably like to hear but there are not many options to end the way this seems to go.

You may be rewarded with moving costs, etc. ones you have proof of them not responding timely and not acting on things but the fridge is a lost cause since you agreed to getting money in return or a credit as it may have been.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:38 PM

92 posts, read 201,907 times
I agree with everyone else that you had a few strong warning signs that the property manager/owners were not thorough professionals. Keep documentation (receipts, e-mails, etc.) of all communication regarding your attempts to get the situation rectified and the purchase of the new refrigerator. Inform them that if you have to buy a new one, you plan to take it with you upon vacating and get it in writing that they approve.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:59 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,389,043 times
Wink Lol...

'don't open the fridge'! Dude...that would have been the first thing I would have done, well that and probably plugging it in to see if it even worked. Is this your first rental? Well, you'll learn some valuable lessons for next time.
Koale

Old 05-30-2014, 04:40 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,817,074 times
"Don't open the fridge" should have immediately been translated in your head as "you don't want to rent this place." Especially after wading through a grass prairie just to get in the door.

I've had some apartment showings where I knew before the agent even opened the door that I didn't want to live there. I'm guessing this wold have been one such place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting