Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 02:46 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,143,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
Someone with this set of morals and integrity doesn't do things like pay it forward. Besides, paying it forward would actually involve giving something of yourself to/for someone else.

The saddest part is this couple probably has children and they're probably raising their kids to have this same mindset. They're trash.
Ah, you know me so well. I'd discuss this more but I'll be busy today teaching my children pick pockets and kick puppies.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:54 AM

Quote:
There isn't an attorney around that values their law license who would represent you in this matter. They have a duty to behave ethically, even if you don't want to.

As a tenant, I'd never do this so I can't tell you what I'd do if this was my situation. I'm not a liar, nor am I a thief.

As the landlord, I'd allow you to sue me. Then I'd counter sue you for abuse of process and filing a frivolous lawsuit.
As a tenant you'd never do what? You'd never ask for the return of the security deposit as stated on the lease? I did not lie. I did not steal. I did not sue. I dropped it after I found the original lease and realized it was indeed a mistake. So I guess you would have done what I did, except you'd return the check they sent you after they knew it wasn't the correct amount? Fair enough.

As the landlord your play makes sense, since I never would have sued after learning that the $769 was incorrect.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
The funny part is that family or friends may look on google and know the story and read how it was a scam. The LL and their family and friends may also look online to see what their rights are and if the numbers for example have typed in this thread may come up.

I would love to see that go down in court since the internet is a marvelous tool to show how people lie and what you find out, in a very easy and short time.
Friends and family don't have to learn about this on the internet - I actually just talk to them. Strangely, none of them so far think that I'm the devil - just a guy that had seven hundred bucks fall in his lap.

And I can't help but wonder why the LL didn't investigate their rights before issuing the check. This isn't a mom-and-pop type situation. Big ol' complex by a company that owns/runs many complexes - you think they'd have legal people they could consult. Or perhaps they did investigate it and things aren't as black-and-white as everyone in here thinks?

In no way was this a "scam". And I did not lie about a single thing to the landlord or anyone else.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:50 AM

292 posts, read 1,066,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Of course I can't produce a cancelled check or receipt for the $769 -- I didn't pay it. Of course, I can't produce a receipt or cancelled check for the $49 either. I could however produce a lease signed by the landlord saying that I paid a $769 security deposit.

So I'll put you down as someone who would let it go if you were the tenant in this situation. Fair enough. Completely reasonable and honorable.

What if you were the landlord?
Obviously the first step is to say "Whoopsie - typo. Bygones." But what if the tenant were not reasonable and honorable? Would it be worth it to you to spend time and money protecting the $720? Are you as confident as the others in this thread that the judge would just toss the lease aside like it's nothing?
I am a landlord of sort as I do work for a management company to which we have 324 units at our complex I am at. I am VERY confident that the judge would toss your claim out. My management company can produce all leases, all cancelled checks, money orders, credit card payments or cashier check payments on every single tenant current and past all the way up to when the property was built.

You would not win this one.

And that refund you got that you THINK you are entitled to....someone will probably loose their job for the error for processing it and sending it out.

I do however find it odd that you got the check for the $700 something the next day after you called them about the so called error. Had it come from some big management co like you say it would take longer than the next day to get cut from their corporate office.

This all sounds fishy to me.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:35 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
After reading through this thread, I call BS on the entire story. There is no such thing as a $49.00 security deposit, and no LL would ever return $769.00 to a former tenant they know didn't pay the money.
This is a lonely guy looking for adventure and found it by concocting a wild story to see how many people would waste their time answering.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:18 PM

399 posts, read 568,327 times
Quote:
As a tenant you'd never do what? You'd never ask for the return of the security deposit as stated on the lease? I did not lie. I did not steal. I did not sue. I dropped it after I found the original lease and realized it was indeed a mistake. So I guess you would have done what I did, except you'd return the check they sent you after they knew it wasn't the correct amount? Fair enough.
If you took the check and cashed it after you knew it didn't belong to you, then yes, you STOLE. You're dishonest and you lack integrity and you're a horrible example of doing the right thing to your children.

My husband has a VERY common first/last name combination. We have received refund checks for things we KNOW don't belong to us. They're returned. Every one of them, every time. Why? Because karma is a b**ch.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:20 PM

399 posts, read 568,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
There is no such thing as a $49.00 security deposit
I lived in CA (right outside of Los Angeles) all my life until last year. I've rented at least 2 apartments where my security deposit was under $100.

Move in specials, excellent credit and references. In fact, the apartment I lived in before I moved here? My security deposit was $49.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:12 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB001 View Post

This all sounds fishy to me.
I was thinking of baloney, or maybe steer manure....

but fish will do.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:17 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Friends and family don't have to learn about this on the internet - I actually just talk to them. Strangely, none of them so far think that I'm the devil - just a guy that had seven hundred bucks fall in his lap.

And I can't help but wonder why the LL didn't investigate their rights before issuing the check. This isn't a mom-and-pop type situation. Big ol' complex by a company that owns/runs many complexes - you think they'd have legal people they could consult. Or perhaps they did investigate it and things aren't as black-and-white as everyone in here thinks?

In no way was this a "scam". And I did not lie about a single thing to the landlord or anyone else.
Keep in mind that in case of an error people receive money they don't deserve and it is discovered it is not something you can say that is too bad and now I'm out of money to give it back.

For example if the bank makes an error in your favor it still is the banks money and when they come to collect they will be the one who will have the right on their side.

Old 06-08-2014, 05:21 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
I lived in CA (right outside of Los Angeles) all my life until last year. I've rented at least 2 apartments where my security deposit was under $100.

Move in specials, excellent credit and references. In fact, the apartment I lived in before I moved here? My security deposit was $49.
I've seen it over here with apartments too during the down years of renting and they couldn't get people to move in...but when someone would walk in usually they would increase the amount and say that is only for people with excellent credit.

Apartment complexes are the fastest with putting things on a persons credit report and filing in court as many people have seen. Usually when people have judgments we can see it is from apartment complexes.

I had one application and when I did check and discovered all the issues on their report and he lies for eviction from a so called foreclosure (I have written in the past about this case) I ended up at the apartment complex where they had a very high judgment on their record from. Apartment managements don't play, they file!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting