Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 12:30 PM

165 posts, read 739,853 times

Advertisements

We have following problem with our tenant.

Her lease expires on 6/30/2014. To renew the current lease we have sent her a new lease and a notice of rent increase form by 2.8% rent increase effective as of 08/01/2014 for one year.

The tenant is not willing to sign the renewed lease prior to lease expiration date on 6/30/2014.

1-What happens when tenant ignores to sign the new lease before or after lease expiration date?

2-Can landlord send tenant a 30 or 60 days notice to move out before tenant does it?

3-Landlord wants the tenant to move out as soon as possible. What is the right way to go?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 12:42 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
I got this notice from my apartment complex here in Long Beach. My lease is up July 14th and on May 14th, I got the notice that my rent was going to go up $20 effective July 14th if I signed a new year lease. Otherwise I had to give 30 day's notice. If I did not sign the lease or give 30 days notice, I would be on a 30 day lease and the rent would go up from 1300 to 1900 for that 30 day lease (the month-to-month rate they offer).

I did give 30 days notice last week since my job is moving to north LA (otherwise I would have stayed since this complex is very well-run and the office folks are over the top in service... In Texas, we had to give 60 days notice.

I'm assuming the law is even more lenient for the landlord out in the IE compared to the People's Republic of LongBeachistan. Is this for SB or Riverside? You can call the city to ask for a reference to the appropriate department that governs such matters.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:33 PM

165 posts, read 739,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
I got this notice from my apartment complex here in Long Beach. My lease is up July 14th and on May 14th, I got the notice that my rent was going to go up $20 effective July 14th if I signed a new year lease. Otherwise I had to give 30 day's notice. If I did not sign the lease or give 30 days notice, I would be on a 30 day lease and the rent would go up from 1300 to 1900 for that 30 day lease (the month-to-month rate they offer).

I did give 30 days notice last week since my job is moving to north LA (otherwise I would have stayed since this complex is very well-run and the office folks are over the top in service... In Texas, we had to give 60 days notice.

I'm assuming the law is even more lenient for the landlord out in the IE compared to the People's Republic of LongBeachistan. Is this for SB or Riverside? You can call the city to ask for a reference to the appropriate department that governs such matters.

This is for SB.
Do you still have the form the landlord gave you to move out?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
All you as a tenant have to give notice for is 30 days,
The LL has to give 30 day notice if you are there less than a year and 60 days for over a year.

You simply give 30 day notice

Old 06-18-2014, 09:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
As far as giving notice: Depends how long the tenant has been in the unit, like Electrician4you said.

Since the tenant hasn't signed a lease yet, then the rental will automatically go to month-to-month, unless you or the tenant terminates the tenancy. But, you are not locked into a new lease at this point.

If you want the tenancy to end, send something in writing to the tenant that says the offer for a lease is no longer on the table, that the tenancy will revert to a month to month, and that you are giving them the 30 or 60 day notice as required by law.

Be sure you do everything correctly regarding notice of their right to an initial inspection (pre-move-out), etc. That info is here:

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Info on giving notice is here:

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 06-18-2014, 10:02 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
If you want a great resource, this is the book I used. It includes any forms/contracts you need, too. And they now have an e-version you can download right away:

The California Landlord's Law Book - Legal Book - Nolo

This was my bible. I used their forms and contract. They're really well written, so they're easy for tenants to read and understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting