Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 12:45 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I just have sent a certified letter for security deposit claim to a tenant that was evicted and we didn't get a forwarding address and we paid for return service request and got it back as delivered. I could follow it to the city they live now and I already knew they moved to another city but nothing shows their new address which to me sounds logical due to privacy laws. I just checked it due to reading your post.

I only did it since I need proof to file in court for damages.

Companies use this service all the time. That's how they get the customer's new address and then they update their records when people forget to notify the company that they moved. Look at the front of envelopes coming from your bank, credit card company, mortgage company, insurance company or utilities. They often say "temp return service requested" or similar. It's so they get the new address sent back to them from USPS. However, if no mail forwarding was requested by the former renter through the USPS, there is no new address to give.

As of a few years ago it wasn't considered private info and the postal service gave out the forwarding address as long as proper procedure is followed (put correct info on front of envelope that is sent to the 'forwarded from' address person.

It's also tricky as to whether only 1 person forwarded the mail (John Smith versus the entire Smith family). So you want to get their first name and last name currect in case they filled out mail forwarding with first name and last name. If you send to Mary Smith they will still deliver to the old address if only John Smith filled out mail forwarding and checked the box for individual.

But the tricky part was that the rules differed slightly if the person used temporary forwarding (e.g. vacation forwarding) or permanent forwarding(they moved permanently).

However, I have not checked USPS rules in past few years and things might have changed.

It's possible a different process is used for Certified Letters versus regular First Class Mail. I don't really know the rules inside and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 10:50 PM

5 posts, read 9,278 times
It looks like he didn't leave a forwarding address.. how can I find him?

Is there a way to extradite him if he really went to work and live in China?

Old 06-28-2014, 12:47 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy012 View Post

Might have to hire a skip-tracer.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:

Hire a PI to find him...he might be in China, he might be at his mother's, you won't know until you hire someone to find him.

While they are hunting him down, get your building inspected and see what needs to be done...if the inspector comes back and says the building is fine, the wall is fine and there's no structural issues would you really still go after this guy? Having a soundproof wall could be a huge positive for you.

If after the inspection you still want to go after this guy (whether he's been found or not) you can sue him (serve him at his last know address and don't open the returned letter...why didn't you get a forwarding address from him again??) if he doesn't show up you'll win by default and will probably be awarded a judgment against him which will sit on his credit for 10 yrs and then can be renewed unless its paid.

Now, if your PI finds him you can file for garnishment against him...either wages/assets/tax returns. If he's really in China he has to be working with a US based company...(Unless he's Chinese...you can't just up and move to China and start working) and you can garnish his wages.

If he's a US citizen he's still required to file a US tax return even if living and/or working in a foreign country so you can garnish his tax returns and you might be able to do this whether he's been 'found' or not.

Good luck and keep us updated

Old 06-28-2014, 07:09 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
If you know his mother's address, drive by at night when you would expect him to be there. Check if his car is there.

If you don't know his mother's address, do a bit of online research to find it. First try reverse search using her telephone number, which is likely a landline. Or go to a site like veromi.com or zabasearch.com and see if her address comes up based on her name. You can also google her tel# or name and city to see if anything comes up. You can get her general city/location with the xxx-xxx part of her tel# if it's a landline. Then google her name plus city name to see if address comes up.

OP you ever answered one of the questios in a diff post. Is this wall only in 1 room or is it across several rooms?

If he votes, your state voter records are public record. If he updated his voting card with new address, you can get that info. Contact your local Supervisor of Elections and ask the process for getting access to voters registration records. Sometimes you have to go in person and they will allow you to view the records there but not available online.

If he got a recent ticket (driving), many local police/sheriff's depts have online search of tickets, by name. It will show the person's address and car make/model/color. In fact, if you aren't sure what kind of car to check for in front of his mother's home, check to see if he has any recent tickets and this could help id his car (if he drives that same car).

Old 06-29-2014, 05:27 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:

People aren't extradited because of a simple civil debt. See latter part of Post #37.

Old 06-29-2014, 07:55 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
I am surprised other tenants did not complain when the wall was being built. I am not familiar with construction but I have to believe something like this would create noise. I am sorry if you stated but how long has it been since these people moved?
I am not familiar with the legal around this but it seems once a person moves out and the LL gives the security back it would be hard to prove that an issue did not happen after the tenant left. I understand this wall issue is so odd but still.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:12 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
I am surprised other tenants did not complain when the wall was being built. I am not familiar with construction but I have to believe something like this would create noise. I am sorry if you stated but how long has it been since these people moved?
I am not familiar with the legal around this but it seems once a person moves out and the LL gives the security back it would be hard to prove that an issue did not happen after the tenant left. I understand this wall issue is so odd but still.
See here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
You can file suit immediately upon discovery so long as it's within six (6) years after taking possession of the premise. You will have to prove one important aspect under NJ law, that the damages were concealed by the tenant so that it could not be discovered during a normal premise inspection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
An additional layer of bricks cemented over and painted in the same shade as the existing original wall is (a) not going to create a lot of noise during its construction and (b) is not going to be immediately noticeable. We're not talking several feet of difference, likely only about 6-8" tops. Nor is it difficult to prove that it was done within the last couple of years based on cement age, etc.
According to the OP the unit has not been re-rented and the construction was discovered as the OP was showing the unit to prospective new tenants.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:15 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:

I used to be a skiptracer for a collections company. DM me if interested. No fee.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:34 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
I think the landlord should be concerned about what the tenant might have stuffed into the wall cavity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting