U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 03:17 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,169,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansgi View Post
I'll be honest, if you don't know how to adjust the temperature in the frig, you got bigger problems!!
Not necessarily. There are a lot of refrigerators these days that don't have the handy little dial inside. Some of them are adjusted through the computer interface on the door, and if you aren't tech friendly...well, it can be like setting the time on your VCR. Just because I can intuit how computerized things work doesn't mean someone else can.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 11:45 AM

947 posts, read 3,343,842 times
And if the tenants are completely new to the state other things can be helpful, too.

I've moved from Mississippi to North Dakota and Connecticut to Florida for work.

A list of who provides cable tv, phone and internet service along with last known contact phone numbers and local addresses is helpful

Also where the local grocery store, pharamcy and laundromat are, with addresses and directions.

Sure, this is a little more work, but when a person moving from out of state already has alot on their mind, this will ease things for them a little bit and give them less to worry about

Trust me, Ive been there!

Old 01-11-2008, 11:53 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,720,802 times
My husband and I relocated from out of state to Wyoming...

Here are some things I wish our landlord would have done... Let me say this also, he doesn't have a mortgage or anything he inherited the place we are in... and sadly too many people take rent money and pocket it and don't put any aside if something needs replacing or breaks.

1. A landlord to take their obligations they chose to list in a lease as serious as the obligations the expect out of renters...

2. I didn't know it when were moved to our outside of town rental, but there is no garbage service, which they neglected to tell us and get mad because we have no where to put our garbage, and we moved out of state so had no clue where the landfill was even... So they provide us with now way of removing our garbage unless we take it ourselves... I don't mind paying I would just like the option of having somewhere to put it...

3. make sure the rental is clean, no broken windows(we had a jagged piece of glass in my daughters room) Still not fixed after a year of renting so we had to patch it temporarily...

4. Our land lord is out of state, and his sister is the caretaker and our rental is on a Ranch. I would also say for landlords and caretakers to see eye to eye and not take out their frustrations on the renters who pay the big dollars every month...
So far our care taker was nice at first and has made us feel so uncomfortable like we are an inconvience (probably didn't spell that right) even though we pay to live on her ranch...

I think before a renter moves in, the two should see eye to eye before hand, or not rent at all...

5. Just because we live in a rural place where everyone knows everyone, it is not acceptable to give a renter a place that does not have a locking door, or is it ok for a caretaker to walk in after a few months of knowing the renter to see if we are home...

All of my requests for a land lord are pretty basic knowledge, but you would be surprised how ignorant some people are who decide to rent out places...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or