Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 05:23 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times

Advertisements

The simplest thing to do is let them go, even if there is a lease. Subtract one month's rent from whatever they paid you. Verify no damage. If damage, subtract that. Then give them whatever is left.

If you paid any rental agent commission subtract that too.

There is no point in getting into a war situation. Get them out so you can find better renters.

This isn't about what you COULD do. It's all about getting them out and getting in good renters as quickly as possible.

put the deal to them and tell them it's the best they are going to get, and point out they are obligated to pay the lease until you can find another renter. Maybe they will leave a nice clean empty unit before the end of the month so it will show nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 05:40 PM

Noting we are nearing July 1st, if they are not out by then then take another month's rent. Begin eviction proceedings if they don't pay and aren't out.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:44 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Maybe they will leave a nice clean empty unit before the end of the month so it will show nice.
Quote:
Noting we are nearing July 1st, if they are not out by then then take another month's rent. Begin eviction proceedings if they don't pay and aren't out.
I read it as they never moved in - they started to move in furniture but it didn't fit so they left. If this isn't the case and they actually did move in then that changes the whole picture.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:54 PM

They prevented the unit from being rented to somebody else. That is my definition of moving in. You tie up a rental, it is going to cost you money.

The original poster would have to give us more date information for a more accurate take on the situation.

Note that landlord still has to pay the mortgage on empty units. Waste my time and it's going to cost you money.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:05 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Lovehouind WHY are You putting this on the rentors! Not their fault the LL has Small Doors! Maybe he should widen the doors to prevent future problems!

Old 06-30-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
They prevented the unit from being rented to somebody else. That is my definition of moving in. You tie up a rental, it is going to cost you money.

The original poster would have to give us more date information for a more accurate take on the situation.

Note that landlord still has to pay the mortgage on empty units. Waste my time and it's going to cost you money.
The OP posted yesterday saying that the renters were supposed to move in "yesterday" and then came the issue with the furniture. So they did not move in and the OP can move forward and immediately put the property back up for rent. With one month's rent withheld that should hopefully be sufficient time to find another tenant and there will be no further loss of revenue.

The OP has a while before the money has to be returned so has a little breathing room to better determine what the outlook is and how to proceed further if necessary.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Lovehouind WHY are You putting this on the rentors! Not their fault the LL has Small Doors! Maybe he should widen the doors to prevent future problems!
Sounds more like large furniture and incompetent movers rather than doors smaller than standard. The bed was likely something huge and the new tenants obviously didn't bother checking the room dimensions.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:51 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,588,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnusmr View Post
I own a house in Wisconsin, I had renters all set to move in yesterday. They toured the house multiple times and when I gave them the keys they also saw the house as well. They gave me $1000 ( 600 security deposit and 400 rent with 200 more due in a week) they started to move in and then decided that they didn't want to rent because their bed wouldn't fit and their couches were too big to fit in door. They feel they should get all their money back and I say none back as I had them renting for the month. I would love to hear why others have to say on this topic.
if they signed a lease, then they are stuck because they should have figured out if the bed could fit.

sounds like they are making a convenient excuse to get out because they just changed their mind.

sorry, it doesn't work that way - a lease is a binding legal contract.

now if they did not sign a lease, you might not have a choice.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Did the doors somehow get smaller since the renters were shown the apartment???

Amusing post Katie. Amuse me as much next time and I'll hit the +rep button for you.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The OP posted yesterday saying that the renters were supposed to move in "yesterday" and then came the issue with the furniture. So they did not move in and the OP can move forward and immediately put the property back up for rent. With one month's rent withheld that should hopefully be sufficient time to find another tenant and there will be no further loss of revenue.

The OP has a while before the money has to be returned so has a little breathing room to better determine what the outlook is and how to proceed further if necessary.
Not quite. Rental months usually start on the 1st of any month. That is tomorrow. The renters deprived the landlord of one month's rent by effectively taking it off the market for July.

If I were this landlord I would ask them to move out and I'd refund everything but one month's rent -- July -- as long as there was no damage.

It's a lease. If the landlord wanted he could milk them for as long as it takes to rent the apartment -- for 12 months if necessary.

If I were this landlord, and I am a landlord, I'd take July's rent and tell them their contract is cancelled and GTFO. But first I'd get them to write a request to cancel the lease, I'd sign it, and I'd give them a copy and tell them get out in the next few days so I can continue to show it.

Did you ever read a lease? Did you look at the warning that you are entering into a legal contract?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting