Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 09:02 PM

18 posts, read 28,719 times

Advertisements

As far as the language in the lease it reads:

MAINTENANCE: Landlord shall be in compliance with Section 83.51, Florida Statutes, and shall be responsible for maintenance and repair of the Premises, unless otherwise stated below:

Then it lists all the maintenance and repairs and they the initials LL if Landlord is responsible or Tenant if Tenant is responsible, for the lawn it states:

tenant: Lawn/Shrubbery

That's all it says nothing about it being to the landlords specifications. I did find out that they person who was telling the Landlord that the lawn didn't look good was then landscaper he wanted me to hire. (No angle there!) Oh and I woke up with morning to the new landscaper's crew mowing, when I specifically told him not to mow until the end of the week since it was just mowed Wednesday and the lawn doesn't look any different. The shrubs weren't cut (because they were just done) and the trim wasn't done, it looks no different then when my lawn guy did it.

The reason I have to talk to the LL's husband is because after the lease was signed she made him the property manager, the rent goes to him too. I have only spoken to her 2 to 3 times. According to him he really owns the properties but for business reasons puts the properties in her name, so she is the legal owner and landlord but he runs the show. I guess he'd rather her get sued instead of him.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:10 PM

18 posts, read 28,719 times
I called two attorneys today, both want $100 consultation fee, no free consultations so far and I am not willing to spend the money until I know if they can help me. I did get a referral for an attorney who does offer free legal consults and I am calling him tomorrow. I don't want to tell LL's husband anything until I talk to an attorney and see if he can legally require me to use his landscaper. I am sure though that if I tell him I refuse to use his landscaper he will tell me to get out but I want to see how the attorney wants to handle it first before I do anything.

I wasn't going to sign a new lease but the Landlord promised me things would be better, she is very professional and does things by the book but I guess she can't control him either, unfortunately for her she will be the one sued not him.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:59 PM

292 posts, read 1,066,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentinginflorida View Post
I wasn't going to sign a new lease but the Landlord promised me things would be better, she is very professional and does things by the book but I guess she can't control him either, unfortunately for her she will be the one sued not him.
So she does things by the book? How so? I don't see how ALLOWING her husband to treat you is "by the book"
She is just as guilt as him in my book.

I would have told them both where they could go by now along with directions on how to get there.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:29 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB001 View Post
So she does things by the book? How so? I don't see how ALLOWING her husband to treat you is "by the book"
She is just as guilt as him in my book.

I would have told them both where they could go by now along with directions on how to get there.
Including proper hand signals?

Old 07-08-2014, 11:20 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
Get it all in writing from the "Agent" of the landlord. Stop with the calls and text nonsense. Also you cannot let him bully you so much.

You need to get out of this property and situation tbh....

Old 07-08-2014, 11:32 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentinginflorida View Post
I called two attorneys today, both want $100 consultation fee, no free consultations so far and I am not willing to spend the money until I know if they can help me. I did get a referral for an attorney who does offer free legal consults and I am calling him tomorrow. I don't want to tell LL's husband anything until I talk to an attorney and see if he can legally require me to use his landscaper. I am sure though that if I tell him I refuse to use his landscaper he will tell me to get out but I want to see how the attorney wants to handle it first before I do anything.

Look it it is not in the lease he has no right to tell you to do it. Period. The attorney will tell you the same. It is not a call requiring a law degree.

If the wife is the legal owner you have a valid lease. You are not responsible for private arrangements between your LL and her husband.

Now the hard part. You need to grow a back bone. If he robocalls block the number. If he harasses by other means block them. Tell him you will take only written communications in the mail until he revises his style. If he confronts you tell him politely to go to hell.

The guy appears to be a bully without legal standing. Keep good records including memo notes when interactions occur just in case he actually does go to court. He almost certainly won't if the facts are as you have stated as he will get slaughtered.

and stop rolling over.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:04 PM

245 posts, read 291,697 times
seek legal advice. at the very least you can scare him with a well written letter from a lawyer. the main points of the letter should be
1. Stop harassment. Only acceptable communication from him is mail.
2. You will choose an acceptable lawn care provider.
3. The new lease is valid and you plan to stay. But you are willing move if he pays moving expenses plus 1-2 months rent.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
If the wife is the legal owner you have a valid lease. You are not responsible for private arrangements between your LL and her husband.
No. All the landlord/owner has to say is that husband is her property manager.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:34 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
No. All the landlord/owner has to say is that husband is her property manager.
Nonsense. Property Management Agreement gives the PM the right to act as the agent of a LL. It in no way impacts the right of the tenant if the LL chooses to enter into a lease. You cannot effect a contract by another contract to which one participant is not a party.

think about it. Would it not be wonderful to get together with a loan broker and change the mortgage on a property without consulting the bank?

Old 07-08-2014, 02:06 PM

I can hire any property manager I want. I can hire my cousin. I can do it myself. The landlord is merely hiring an agent to act on their behalf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting