Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 09:16 PM

18 posts, read 52,348 times

Advertisements

I live in Baton Rouge and will be a Senior in high school this year. I've always really respected guys who supported themselves. I have a friend who moved out at 17 and by 19 he had a home he was renting, a full time job, as well as a car that was fully paid off. If you are going to simply respond and tell me how much you disagree with my idea, please don't respond. I was just wondering what apartments in Baton Rouge are like. Well I guess that is an incredibly broad question. What apartments can be had in B.R. for a high school student with a monthly income of just a little over 1K a month? I don't want the nicest apartment in the world, just a place that I can live with a bed and toilet. Even if it is located in a not so pretty part of B.R., as long as the area doesn't have a high crime rate then that's fine with me. So just keep in mind I;m not looking for the nicest place because I know I probably can't afford a 'nice' place lol. I know, 1K is not a lot of money at all but keep in mind I do have parents who are willing to help me out now and then financially my first few months just until I get on my feet and out of school so that I can start working more hours and getting a better income. I will also be starting college next fall so I am excited to get my own place and in the real world. I know it's going to be tough at times for sure, but independence has always been something that was very important to me, so I really want to make this a goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 AM

16,506 posts, read 26,193,039 times
Son, stay at home. Please.

That's no money to live on, save it save it save it and once you graduate then you move out.
I've always been independent as well but you will can wait and be much better off in the future.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:21 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,333,146 times
If you're dead set on moving out now, roommates are going to be key. They will bring your COL down tremendously. It is very difficult to live alone on $1000/month especially if you need a car to get around.

I hope your parents are paying for college, because student loans really, really suck.

Old 07-11-2014, 12:50 PM

712 posts, read 1,088,185 times
^^ I agree. It's best to save your money for a year, which will pass by pretty quick. Hell, your friend was renting a house at 19 but depending on how much you have saved up, next year or the following you may be able to use that saved $$$ as a downpayment to PURCHASE your own home if you plan on staying in the area for a while. You wouldn't be throwing that $$$ away on rent. Also, when you rent/own, you'll always have other expenses such as the electric bill (very high in the spring/summer/fall), water bill, car payments/gas, and college if you're paying for that also.

BUT, if you must move out, the last apt I lived in was Forestwood Apt on Mead rd 5 years ago and if I remember correctly, for a 1 br, I was paying $850. Mind you that was 5 years ago and I'm sure their rent has raised a good bit. There was some crime in the area here and there such as burglaries, car break-ins, and a couple sexual assaults in the 3 years I lived there, but nothing to the point that I felt uncomfortable. I also lived in Tigerland in a few spots but I wouldn't really recommend those now.

In closing, try not to rush growing up. Enjoy the rest of high school and college. You have the rest of your life to prove your independence and deal with adult issues. You'll be in a better position to do it with the more $$$ you have saved

Old 07-13-2014, 02:53 PM

Thanks for those of you who answered, hopefully some more will come to answer. I do not think it is an unrealistic goal by any means though. Say decide that I will move out in March. If I continue to save $200 each month until then, then that's over $1,500. I have seen some apartments listed on craigslist in BR in the $450-500 range. Yea they may be on the smaller side and they may not have all the newest amenities, but I don't really want much in the first place.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:57 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,342,251 times
There's no reason to rush out the door and prove to the world and to yourself that you can be on your own . You don't accomplish anything more at 18 than you will at 20 or even 22 . If you want to be responsible , then do the responsible thing . Stay at home , help your family , save your money . Just my opinion . Good luck to you .

Old 07-13-2014, 05:16 PM

16,506 posts, read 26,193,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdaytoday View Post
Thanks for those of you who answered, hopefully some more will come to answer. I do not think it is an unrealistic goal by any means though. Say decide that I will move out in March. If I continue to save $200 each month until then, then that's over $1,500. I have seen some apartments listed on craigslist in BR in the $450-500 range. Yea they may be on the smaller side and they may not have all the newest amenities, but I don't really want much in the first place.
Of course you don't think so, because you don't know.

$1500 is barely savings these days but if you must. Good luck.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:15 AM

I can not figure out why you all seem to be under the impression that $1000-$2000 a month is not enough for a single person to live on. I know several people who do this and live quite happily.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:01 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,333,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdaytoday View Post
I can not figure out why you all seem to be under the impression that $1000-$2000 a month is not enough for a single person to live on. I know several people who do this and live quite happily.
More power to them.

What do you think your budget will look like for $1000/month income? A good rule of thumb is to spend 30% or less of your budget on housing. If you plan on living alone, you'll be at 50%. That leaves you with $500/month for food, medical, transportation, college tuition, supplies, etc. Your entertainment money is what ever is left after that, which is pretty much nothing.

If you could find some roommates and get your housing cost down to $200-300, you'll be much better off. Even then, you will still struggle if you're trying to pay tuition.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:04 PM

My parents are paying for my tuition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
View detailed profiles of: