Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 04:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,181 times

Advertisements

disclaimer: I am not the landlord or the tenant in this situation. I am just someone who saw an ad in the "free stuff" section on Craigslist.

The ad says, "Renters evicted and all must go. Today and tomorrow and junk man takes away saturday. dressers, beds, tv's dishes, expensive kitchen stuff, little girl's toys, blankets, clothes, tables, printer, aquarium with fish, misc stuff!!" There are pictures of the items, taken indoors, so the landlord may not have hauled them out to the curb yet (if it even matters).

My question is... can he do this legally? I thought he was supposed to throw away anything the ex-tenants don't take with them. Could he legally sell the items? And, am I at any risk here? Suppose he gives me a couple pieces of furniture, then it turns out he evicted them illegally or didn't follow some technicality. Am I then in possession of stolen goods?

EDIT: Meant to put this in the "renting" subforum. Sorry, mods, feel free to move it if you want.

Last edited by juspassingthru; 07-10-2014 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: note
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 05:01 PM

7,519 posts, read 13,624,634 times
What state is this ? Here is what CT state says:
"After the Execution is returned to you, you must give it to a state marshal for
service on the defendant. The Execution informs the
defendant that they must vacate the premises within
a minimum of 24 (twenty-four) hours or be physically
removed from the premises and if the defendant does
not move the defendant’s possessions and personal
effects they will be removed by the marshal and stored
at the defendant’s expense. If the defendant does not
claim those belongings, they may be sold by the town.

at http://www.jud.ct.gov/Publications/hm014.pdf

Old 07-10-2014, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,181 times
I'm in Virginia. I guess I should have looked up the law myself before posting.

According to a lawyer's site, it seems to be legal: The Eviction Process in Virginia: A Guide for Landlords and Tenants - STEVEN KRIEGER LAW, PLLC | Consumer Law | H-1B Visas | Landlord & Tenant | Small Business | Zoning |

"In a 24-Hour Lock Change Eviction, the landlord must provide a locksmith to change all the exterior locks during the scheduled eviction. Within 24 hours after the eviction, the landlord is given possession of the property. For the next 24 hours, the property is essentially treated as a storage facility and the landlord must give tenant reasonable access to remove personal property, but tenant may not remain in the property overnight. "

Old 07-10-2014, 08:07 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,995,568 times
Wow. In the states I'm familiar with, the LL has to store the stuff for a while (time periods vary, but measured in weeks, not hours).

Old 07-10-2014, 09:39 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juspassingthru View Post
I'm in Virginia. I guess I should have looked up the law myself before posting.

According to a lawyer's site, it seems to be legal: The Eviction Process in Virginia: A Guide for Landlords and Tenants - STEVEN KRIEGER LAW, PLLC | Consumer Law | H-1B Visas | Landlord & Tenant | Small Business | Zoning |

"In a 24-Hour Lock Change Eviction, the landlord must provide a locksmith to change all the exterior locks during the scheduled eviction. Within 24 hours after the eviction, the landlord is given possession of the property. For the next 24 hours, the property is essentially treated as a storage facility and the landlord must give tenant reasonable access to remove personal property, but tenant may not remain in the property overnight. "
The actual law VRLTA is Title 55, Chapter 13.-2 of the Code of Virginia. It states that the landlord has the right to assume the property is abandon if the tenant does not claim it within 24 hours of the abandonment. At that point the landlord must serve a notice on the tenants as prescribed and in the manner outlined in 55-248.33 and/or 55-248.6 of the VRLTA. That notice (depending on certain conditions) may be a 7 day or 10 day notice. Upon expiration of that notice, the landlord can dispose of the property.

If the landlord sells the property, the money is placed to the account of the tenants and can be used as payment of moneys owed. If the amount exceeds the amount owed, the landlord has to treat it like a security deposit and refund the remainder to the tenants under the security deposit requirements. The section of VRLTA that pertains to abandon personal property is 55-248.38.1.

Old 07-10-2014, 11:24 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
If the LL has fulfilled their obligations of storage and Notice to the tenant, yes. They can do as they please with it.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:16 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Here they are only required to store it for 10 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting