Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 05:09 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
You have presented the basic problem about lying. There is only ONE truth, but there are INFINITE number of lies.

As a liar you have to remember all the truth and every lie you told, who you told it to, what the lie was, and who the person will repeat your lie to. Ramifications multiply. Lies feed on lies and multiply.

And then there is the truth. There is only one truth. Tell it to a person or several persons or everybody on the planet and the truth is the truth.

That is why liars are almost always outed. A person who tells the truth has only one thing to remember. A liar has increasing complexities and multiplications to remember, and sooner or later even the smartest liar gets caught up in their own lies.
That is why we have more and more denials due to lies on applications and tenants lying about repairs and maintenance at a home.

But we also have to give credit to tenants who admit after keeping info that they were responsible for certain items and the tenants that everyone loves to deal with which is still an existing group

The potential tenant who has been denied due to lying stated to our agent after she was asked who is going to move in, if she could retract and just not disclose her daughter and kids to be moving in since they got denied time after time due to her daughters criminal record.

We are licensed agents and even without a license who wants to have a tenant who wants illegally move additional people in.

When do people understand that owners are not obligated to rent to a liar and rather have a good solid and qualified long term tenant. Anyone lying risks eviction and additional moving expenses in a short time frame.

If if they lie to us do they really think neighbors all keep their mouth shut? We often hear things through neighbors since they like good neighbors and not a mess in their neighborhood. We try to get good relationships in a neighborhood and it has helped us a lot.

When tenants report repairs do they really think the contractors will not tell about the amount of pets and people and what is going on. No smoking means you can smoke outside and not in the house, 1 pet means the approved pet and not a Pitt bull or other mix that looks like a Pitt bull but now has so many different fancy names to hide the real breed so we disclosed on our website that any dog that looks like a pit bull is not going to be accepted.

Just this weekend another young child, just 4 years old got mauled to death in Florida by his uncles 4 pit bulls!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 08:38 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
As far as I understand it, lying on the rental application is sufficient grounds to deny it no matter what the other circumstances are.

I intend to visit each of my properties about every 6 months. If I smell cigarette smoke they are out of there!!!

Would it make sense to add a question to the application, for each occupant:

occupant _________________ smoker: yes [ ] no [ ] sometimes [ ]

Old 07-21-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
As far as I understand it, lying on the rental application is sufficient grounds to deny it no matter what the other circumstances are.

I intend to visit each of my properties about every 6 months. If I smell cigarette smoke they are out of there!!!

We don't ask them if they smoke...we just have a NON smoking wording in all leases which means no where inside the property can be smoked which also incl. the garage and not just the heated areas.

Outside is for any tenant to smoke or do whatever is legal and in compliance with their lease.

Old 07-21-2014, 10:03 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I still remember a family that came to my open single family house... they really liked the place and had enough income...

The Dad said he did not want to waste my time because he had recently filed bankruptcy when his business partner skimmed money and then left the country...

It was detailed in the local paper.

I did rent to him because there were no surprises on his application...

They were great tenants... stayed 4 years and then bought their own home.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:19 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:

I've mentioned this before but with four recently acquired properties and as a brand new LL you really need to invest a little bit of money in having a good local RE attorney tailor your leases appropriately. Your ads simply need to say "no smoking" and your leases simply need to note that, period. Simple wording. A good real estate attorney will cut down what could end up as scores of lease addenda and application questions.

And, no, you cannot break a lease and oust a tenant on the grounds of simply smelling cigarette smoke on a once every 6 months visit.

Have you thought of joining any landlord help groups either locally or online?

Old 07-21-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Your ads simply need to say "no smoking" and your leases simply need to note that, period.
My leases state no smoking to the point of overkill.

Quote:
No smoking allowed on the inside of interior of premises, including garage. As a result of smoke damage to premises, then tenant will be responsible for repair and costs to remove smoke damage, and will be deducted out of tenant's security deposits.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:10 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
My leases state no smoking to the point of overkill.
The most common mistake of new LLs is using generic leases which say too little. The second most common mistake is padding leases with excessive irrelevant fluff.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:02 AM

Today we received the lease break fee equal to 2 month rent so the owner is happy and we are moving on to get the owner a new tenant.

Btw we got another tenant for a different rental $ 900 who wanted to apply. No income since they plan to move and look for a job over here. Only a monthly settlement payment of $ 1000 for a family of 4. Really!!!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stt resident View Post
the most common mistake of new lls is using generic leases which say too little. The second most common mistake is padding leases with excessive irrelevant fluff.
fwiw:

Quote:
No smoking allowed on the inside of the interior of the premises; including garage. As a result of smoke damage to premises, then tenant will responsible for repair, and costs to remove smoke damage and will be deducted out of tenants security deposits.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:54 AM

We have used special paint which will eliminate the smoke smell mostly. When tenants smoke inside the house while the lease clearly is stating it is not allowed they usually leave the property in more distress when they leave and never expect their security deposit back.

This week we had a mom checking out a property for her daughter...she was as high as a kite. If that is the mom what will that say about the daughter if the mom has to be the one checking the place out and later the daughter making all kinds if statement about drugs in her first conversation.

Btw people who smoke inside a property don't have any respect for others people property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting