Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 03:48 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,861,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I am the Landlord. I have a tenant I've reminded a couple of times now and wondering if I should continue this practice. This would be the 3rd time if I do it again. Starting to think it might be unprofessional to send warnings.

You've reminded your tenant 3 times to pay his rent? Do you offer to write the check as well?

I think you need to stop babying your tenant and let them pay their rent on their own....you're the landlord, not the parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 08:21 AM

14,530 posts, read 19,978,472 times
I wish all my tenants would just sign up for automatic deposit. My mortgages are set up for automatic deposit. My business Visa card is set up for automatic payment. My HOA dues are set up for automatic payment. If everybody puts everything on automatic then the problem is solved.

Except for stupid people who can't manage their finances and always spend their checking account down to 2-3 dollars before each payday. I like to think of these people as future ex-tenants.

I think I would tend to warn a tenant the first time they are late on rent, and tell them that as a courtesy I will waive the first late payment fee. After that they are on their own. My Realtor picked $15/day and I'd sure hate to pay that for 4-5 days.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:25 AM

245 posts, read 289,909 times
An eviction notice is a good reminder that they are late.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:36 AM

Not practical. That eviction notice is also a future vacancy notice, as in no rent until the unit is cleaned, reconditioned, shown and rented. Do not shoot self in foot.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:43 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,599,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I wish all my tenants would just sign up for automatic deposit. My mortgages are set up for automatic deposit. My business Visa card is set up for automatic payment. My HOA dues are set up for automatic payment. If everybody puts everything on automatic then the problem is solved.

Except for stupid people who can't manage their finances and always spend their checking account down to 2-3 dollars before each payday. I like to think of these people as future ex-tenants.

I think I would tend to warn a tenant the first time they are late on rent, and tell them that as a courtesy I will waive the first late payment fee. After that they are on their own. My Realtor picked $15/day and I'd sure hate to pay that for 4-5 days.
This tenant received such a warning sometime in the first year (they are now in their 4th year), and then I reminded them again the month they had their new baby just earlier this year. Just wondering if there's another time should I just let them roll into late fees. I am not a hard-A and all my tenants are consistent, on-time payers - they pay direct deposit at the bank so I know immediately when a deposit is made. I do provide preprinted deposit slips, so I guess Kim is kind of correct about my mothering tendancies!

Old 07-17-2014, 08:48 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,424,020 times
Formal eviction proceedings don't follow if the 3 day cure or quit notice is complied with.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:48 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,599,223 times
Quote:

LOL! Here in Dallas, this song is popular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ksWKOy665o

Old 07-17-2014, 09:30 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,354,458 times
I have 160 properties and a grace period through the 5th. I usually have about 20 people who do not pay by the 5th each month (about 15 repeat offenders and usually about 5 random people). We've been gradually whittling away at this, a year ago, it was 25 repeat offenders every month, but some of them, we've got trained, some didn't like paying the late fees, and some just moved out.

I usually call the random late ones, the ones who always pay on time, because sometimes someone is in the hospital or something. I call them the morning after the grace period ends and tell them if they get it in before the end of the day, I'll waive the late fee. They almost always do, because they aren't problem tenants. However, for the repeat offenders, I don't call them every month, I just charge them the late fee. Some of them pay a late fee every month.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:46 AM

I too provide my tenants with deposit slips with the amount pre-printed. My very major bank has 4-5 branches within 3 miles of all my rental houses, it would be almost impossible to go anywhere without my tenants passing more branches. Actually I sometimes wonder why so many branches, but it works for me! Easy on my tenants too, and no postage or lost in the mail or excuses thereof.

And I can easily see payments including image of whatever monies were used, except cash I guess.

I don't see any reason to give each tenant one "oops!" After that I like the phone call and "get it deposited by close of business and I'll skip the late charge." After a few of those my warnings may switch to certified mail delivery, and no more freebies. However all my tenants seem like responsible persons and I doubt I'll ever see a late payment from my current tenants. I'm a small operation with 4 houses so I don't expect to encounter the problem often.

I don't like the notice approach. Too much shock factor for my taste, and not worth a 14 hour round trip drive to deliver. Just kidding, my cousin lives a few miles away from my properties and could do it if I asked.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:53 AM

245 posts, read 289,909 times
Quote:
Not practical. That eviction notice is also a future vacancy notice, as in no rent until the unit is cleaned, reconditioned, shown and rented. Do not shoot self in foot.
I don't follow. I've been in apartment building where it appeared it was management policy to post eviction notices on doors if the tenant is a day late with rent. If they pay then the eviction process isn't continued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting