Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,546 times

Advertisements

I recently signed the lease on an apartment and today was the move-in day. When I had met with the management, I was shown a model apartment with carpet, but told that the apartment I would be getting would have hardwood floors, which to me was a huge plus. The lease had to be signed prior to move-in day and I could not see my actual apartment until I moved in. So I signed the lease, and today I walked in to find that I had carpet instead of the hardwood floors that were promised.
Management had given me the impression that the rent of my apartment was in the higher range due to the floors, but now I appear to be paying the above average rent for the average apartment.
Unfortunately, my lease specifically states that any oral agreements were not binding contracts and only what was written in the lease is considered part of the deal, which means I signed off on this apartment whether I knew it or not.
It doesn't seem like they should be allowed to do this, but I'm new to the renting process. Is there anything I can do about this situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 12:03 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,227,113 times
Absolutely nothing. File this away for future reference.
Repeat after me

When I make ANY agreement between myself and another party I will get every orally stated promise in writing BEFORE I sign any lease agreement or pay for any service. Verbal agreements ( as you found out) have a way of floating away on the hot wind that carries them.

I'm sorry this has happened to you. But lots of people make promises. If you make them put it in writing those empty promises aren't so quick. Some don't even remember what they said they just want a signature to run your check and get a lease signed. They could care less if you got carpet or hardwood.

When I show a rental what you see is what you get. I make no other promises written or verbal. The place is clean, painted and everything works.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,873,290 times
Do you have anything in writing saying that your unit will have hardwood floors? this is just another reason you never, ever rent a place without seeing YOUR unit. If they wont' show you the unit youll be in, don't rent from them.

What can you do? Not really sure you can do anything because you accepted the unit as is...now, if you had contacted them the second you saw the carpet that might be a different story.

I would still go down and talk to the leasing agent and see if they will do something about it. The worse they can say is sorry, no can do.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:18 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,032,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I would still go down and talk to the leasing agent and see if they will do something about it. The worse they can say is sorry, no can do.

This. You can see if they will adjust the rent - point out that the figure you quoted was higher than average because of the hardwood floors but since your unit doesn't have them, see if they will adjust the rent back down to average or give you any other sort of concession.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:01 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,541,014 times
Some apartment complexes have show units and if that is the case than document by pictures the unit and have the apartment management put in writing what the difference is between that unit and what you sign for.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:15 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,988,953 times
I have nothing to add except this saying:

"Verbal contracts are worth the paper they are printed on."

Old 07-21-2014, 12:36 AM

1,903 posts, read 3,203,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vepac View Post
I recently signed the lease on an apartment and today was the move-in day. When I had met with the management, I was shown a model apartment with carpet, but told that the apartment I would be getting would have hardwood floors, which to me was a huge plus. The lease had to be signed prior to move-in day and I could not see my actual apartment until I moved in. So I signed the lease, and today I walked in to find that I had carpet instead of the hardwood floors that were promised.
Management had given me the impression that the rent of my apartment was in the higher range due to the floors, but now I appear to be paying the above average rent for the average apartment.
Unfortunately, my lease specifically states that any oral agreements were not binding contracts and only what was written in the lease is considered part of the deal, which means I signed off on this apartment whether I knew it or not.
It doesn't seem like they should be allowed to do this, but I'm new to the renting process. Is there anything I can do about this situation?
This is unfortunate. You can try to negotiate for concessions on the rent. If they don't budge, you can always write bad reviews about their lying on many apartment review sites. You can also use reviews as a negotiation tactic.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,783 times
Default contact local housing athority

Quote:
Originally Posted by vepac View Post

have you tried contacting the local housing authority? they will have info on laws for renters in the area you live.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:51 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,802,980 times
If its not in writing, theres not much you can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting