Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,354 times

Advertisements

Hello I am hoping you good people can steer me in the right direction on this problem I am having. I am in Sacramento, CA.

My wife and I left a rental after just over 2 years with a 30 day notice. We requested a pre-inspection walkthrough and the landlord came with a property mgmt agent that she was having take over the duties for any new tenants and act as her agent in closing out with us. At the end of the pre-inspection we were told juts make sure to clean the oven and leave the house clean and they see no reason to keep any of our deposit. We were given no paperwork or anything in writing to this effect. Feeling like we had a fairly honest landlord, we left it at that.

When we received the deposit check and statement, it had several problems: The landlord wrote the amount of the deposit was $1500 when in fact it was 1550, we were charged for a water bill which my wife had already paid and $220 for "Partial cost (1/3) for painting touchup in hallway, bedrooms and living room." These areas were not damaged and most certainly fell under normal wear and tear.

I wrote the landlord (she doesn't speak english well) and demanded a return on these items. We received a check for the water and additional deposit. A day later a second check arrived for the first portion of the deposit this time by certified mail. We didn't cash it since we had deposited the first. We texted her about receiving the duplicate with no response. Surprise surprise she stopped payment on the first one which bounced in our bank.

Now she will not return the bounced check fee to us stating it cost her more to stop payment and sending a new one certified mail since she thought the first one was lost in the mail.

From what I understand she has violated several laws here.

My question is- Is it proper and legal to charge partial cost for touch up paint? It is not in our rental contract. If it were damage beyond normal wear and tear I don't think she would assume 2/3 of the share of cost!

What about the deposit check bouncing? Is that considered having not returned our deposit within the 21 days? Is this a case of "bad faith"? Please advise and thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 05:52 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
It sounds to me like the bounced check was more a case of a language barrier problem than bad faith. However, she shouldn't have been able to stop payment if you'd already deposited the check, unless it all happened the same day. Does that mean she broke the law? Maybe. Should she pay you for the bounced check? Maybe. If you waited a long time to deposit the check, it would have been a reasonable assumption that you didn't receive it. It also depends on what your letter to her said, exactly.

As for the painting, without seeing it, there is no way to say if $220 is fair for touchup. If you hung pictures in those areas and your lease said you couldn't, they can charge for touchup. I've had tenants tell me that screw holes from hanging curtains, shelves, tvs, etc are normal wear and tear, which they aren't. I've had tenants tell me smoke on the walls was normal and just needed to be washed, not painted. I've had tenants tell me crayons on the wall was normal wear and tear. My point is, everyone's definition of "normal" is different, so without seeing it, we can't say. If there really wasn't anything, including nail holes (unless allowed in your lease) then no, she can't charge just to repaint.

The water bill could have been a case of her (or the water company, depending) not having received your wife's payment yet when the deposit refund went out. That happens sometimes. But she refunded that, so that is a moot point now.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:41 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Re the check for $1,550 -

The bank will cash what the words say, not the figure, for example - if a check says $200 and the written words say "Two hundred fifty and 00/100 dollars",, the bank would cash it for $250 because that is what is spelled out.

Old 07-24-2014, 08:33 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times
California has a horrendous law regarding bounced checks including triple damages. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting