Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 06:32 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times

Advertisements

LED light-bulbs cost between 3x and 20x ordinary tungsten bulbs. No landlord in their right mind would supply these to tenants.

My 31 replacement LED lamps were for my primary residence where I expect to live 20-25 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 01:25 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Dollar Tree sells lightbulbs.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,459 times
It's amusing how some of you think the tenant should have to pay. In my state, landlords cannot charge for normal wear and tear. Usage of a light bulb is normal wear and tear, therefore it is the landlords responsibility to replace.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:39 AM

701 posts, read 1,691,671 times
I wonder if that will change with the increasing use of expensive LEDs? I heard a rumor that CFLs will be going the way of the dodo sooner rather than later. I guess at some point LED costs will drop too, making them fit back into "normal wear and tear."

Old 10-05-2014, 08:17 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missJxxx View Post
It's amusing how some of you think the tenant should have to pay. In my state, landlords cannot charge for normal wear and tear. Usage of a light bulb is normal wear and tear, therefore it is the landlords responsibility to replace.
Yeah...not always.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:53 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,944,937 times
I know someone who just moved into a new apartment and had 2 out of 4 incandescent light bulbs burned out in the kitchen light fixture, but it is still bright enough. I only use one CFL in fixtures that have 2 or 3 sockets, so it would be my guess that the tenants had the bulbs burn out and just not bother to replace them.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:06 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
What does your lease say about light bulbs? If your landlord turned over your unit full of working light bulbs, that's how you're expected to return the unit. Its not rocket science..it's common sense.

Light bulbs are NOT wear and tear, nor are AC air filters...both are the tenants responsibility unless otherwise stated in the lease.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:17 AM

575 posts, read 1,469,059 times
Quote:
Seriously how cheap can you be? If your light bulbs burns out are you going to call your LL to come replace it because you don't want to spend $1 to go get a pack of them? That's just silly. And if you want more expensive light bulbs, that's your own problem.

The ONLY time a LL had ever fixed a light bulb for me was the long fluorescent light they used in the kitchen. Never had a LL replace the air filter for me either and that's just fine because I don't like the cheap ones anyway.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:37 PM

400 posts, read 575,843 times
Tenant responsibility unless you put a clause in the lease stating you will purchase.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:56 PM

400 posts, read 575,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
Seriously how cheap can you be? If your light bulbs burns out are you going to call your LL to come replace it because you don't want to spend $1 to go get a pack of them? That's just silly. And if you want more expensive light bulbs, that's your own problem.

The ONLY time a LL had ever fixed a light bulb for me was the long fluorescent light they used in the kitchen. Never had a LL replace the air filter for me either and that's just fine because I don't like the cheap ones anyway.
We have it in our lease tenants are responsible for their own light bulbs, which most take out when they leave lol. We put them in before they move in, dollar tree bulbs just to start. You would be shocked at the request tenants make, and I notice the lower the rent the more they demand. I used to have a welcome package I made up when I was just starting out as a landlord, basic cleaning tools and products, things like those plug in air fresheners, magic eraser sponges. Well had to end that because they thought I was supposed to buy that stuff all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting