Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Thank you for the input. After reading the Florida Statutes more closely, there's a clause - 83.595(4a) - that states in addition to liquidation or early termination fees (for which we're off the hook because of the agreement we worked out with them), the LL is entitled to rent accrued through the end of the month in which the LL takes possession. Seems really unfair and misleading since the law requires "60 days" (not 60 days form the start of the next rent due-date), but pretty straightforward to me.

Perhaps someone else can take a look and let me know if I'm reading that correctly.
Good research. For future readers, I found the code you mentioned here:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

I certainly read it the same way you did.

Yes, Florida is not very tenant friendly. This new code (2013, I think?) is the friendliest thing that's happened for tenants trying to break leases in FL. It's still not a great deal, but at least it's an improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 09:57 PM
AT9 AT9 started this thread

691 posts, read 1,219,299 times
Yeah, not very friendly at all. I suppose it's not shocking that developers and landlords have more lobbying presence in Tally.

We've had an otherwise good relationship with our landlord (they were willing to waive the fees for us at least with the proper notice), so I'll attempt to appeal to their sense of fairness - maybe propose paying a prorated rate up until the new tenant's lease begins, assuming it starts in August.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Yeah, not very friendly at all. I suppose it's not shocking that developers and landlords have more lobbying presence in Tally.

We've had an otherwise good relationship with our landlord (they were willing to waive the fees for us at least with the proper notice), so I'll attempt to appeal to their sense of fairness - maybe propose paying a prorated rate up until the new tenant's lease begins, assuming it starts in August.
You could try it. But, I'm thinking that this LL has been really much more fair than the law allows. He could have made you pay a 2 months termination fee, plus required you to pay rent for your last two months on top of it.

If I was your LL and I knew I'd given you a great deal, then you wanted to further whine about 2 weeks of rent...I probably wouldn't like you much anymore. And I'd probably be pickier about your deposit, and maybe not sound like I loved you as a tenant when future landlords called me for a reference.

In other words, I think that may be pushing it. I think thanking your landlord for being so fair, and paying the two weeks rent that you are required to pay, would get you more in the long run.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You could try it. But, I'm thinking that this LL has been really much more fair than the law allows. He could have made you pay a 2 months termination fee, plus required you to pay rent for your last two months on top of it.

If I was your LL and I knew I'd given you a great deal, then you wanted to further whine about 2 weeks of rent...I probably wouldn't like you much anymore. And I'd probably be pickier about your deposit, and maybe not sound like I loved you as a tenant when future landlords called me for a reference.

In other words, I think that may be pushing it. I think thanking your landlord for being so fair, and paying the two weeks rent that you are required to pay, would get you more in the long run.
Eh, maybe, but we also always pay our rent on time and never cause problems (which is fairly rare amongst Pensacola apartment complexes). And being more fair than the law requires does not necessarily mean that they're being abundantly generous. I won't whine or anything - I'll just explain what our expectations were, concede that he has every legal right to charge the full rate, ask if he's willing to work with us, and thank him for everything either way.

If he does, great. If not, we'll pay the full amount and bid adieu.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:14 AM

575 posts, read 1,468,882 times
This is the strangest concept to me... I live in Ohio and I've never heard of a LL asking you to pay for the whole month even if you're leaving mid-month and I've lived in my fair share of apartments. I just left my old place mid-month and arrived at my new place mid-month and only paid for the days I'd be in each place.

Sounds like I should never ever rent in Florida :X

Old 07-29-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
This is the strangest concept to me... I live in Ohio and I've never heard of a LL asking you to pay for the whole month even if you're leaving mid-month and I've lived in my fair share of apartments. I just left my old place mid-month and arrived at my new place mid-month and only paid for the days I'd be in each place.

Sounds like I should never ever rent in Florida :X
You should probably avoid living in Florida altogether lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting