Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 02:40 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperwork View Post
This is a terrible feeling.

It's 12:30 am in my apartment, and my next door neighbor is blasting his subwoofer again. I am afraid for my safety if I knock on his door/ask him to turn it down. I'm afraid for violent retaliation of some kind (by this neighbor) to myself or my property if I call the police.

This has got to stop! Not 5 weeks from now after I've complained a million times while living somewhere I don't feel safe.

I agree, this has to stop. Stop complaining on the internet and do something about it! Call the police and then email your landlord and let them know what's going on and inform them that you will be calling the police every time this happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 09:00 PM

108 posts, read 423,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I agree, this has to stop. Stop complaining on the internet and do something about it! Call the police and then email your landlord and let them know what's going on and inform them that you will be calling the police every time this happens.
Good point.

* Called local precinct was told that I definitely have grounds to call the police if I hear any sound coming into my living space.
* Sent letter STT Resident provided in writing to property management company (email, and CC'd all staff on it)
* Called local legal aid, and have appointment to speak to lawyer tomorrow regarding my issue.
* Put together spreadsheet with documentation regarding the "noise" episodes from my move in date, to today.

I've decided I'm going to fight this thing head on until they let me out of my lease or kick the inconsiderate a-holes' out who are disrupting the peace in this apartment community.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:42 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times
You should consider sending your missive via certified USPS mail, return receipt required.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:05 PM

287 posts, read 593,677 times
Oh god I had neighbors like that once.

Just move dude.

Tell the landlord you want out of the lease. Tell him that either they either let you out of the lease or you will take them to court over constant complaints thats have gone ignored.

Take no sh*t

Your peace of mind and sleep is very important.

I had people who use to wear high heels all day and night on their wood floors who lived above me. After I complained to the landlord 1000 times I finally told him I was moving out. I think he was tired of me and allowed me to cut out on the lease. The last night ai lived in that apartment I blasted music and hit the ceiling with a baseball bat all night LOL.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:07 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperwork View Post
This is a terrible feeling.

It's 12:30 am in my apartment, and my next door neighbor is blasting his subwoofer again. I am afraid for my safety if I knock on his door/ask him to turn it down. I'm afraid for violent retaliation of some kind (by this neighbor) to myself or my property if I call the police.

This has got to stop! Not 5 weeks from now after I've complained a million times while living somewhere I don't feel safe.
It's not good for landlords to have lots of calls for the police, so if you call the cops, then send an email to management every time you do it, it may help give them the ammo they need to kick this guy out.

That kind of info helped me kick out a tenant I wanted to get rid of once. It still took about 4 months max before she finally was out, but because of the police being called for disturbances, that was the clincher in being able to kick her out. There was a good chance that she could get free legal aid, and I wanted all my ducks in a row. So, when she got her 30 day notice to move, which included the fact that she'd had several warnings and that the cops had been called several times, I felt sure that if she took that to any lawyer or legal aid, that they'd tell her too bad, so sad.

And if he does anything to you, you can call the cops about that, too. If he slashes your tires in the middle of the night without getting caught, that's one thing. But, if the threatens you, or comes at you or whatever, then call the cops and get a restraining order. Fight back on all fronts, is what I would do. Or at least be such a noisy pain, that the LL will let you out of your lease.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:10 PM

I'll admit that if you can get the police to respond frequently, and particularly if you have an on site manager, at some point the management is going to attempt to evict the tenant who is causing the problem: the one with the loud music.

There is probably some clause in the lease that they can use as a legal means to cancel the lease and evict the tenant.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
This is pretty good. Just one thought, though, from someone who used to be a resident apt mgr of a building with 26 units.

Pick one tenant to complain about. If you complain about more than one, or the complex in general, the manager will quickly compartmentalize you as a "complainer," and not take you as seriously.

However, if you just make the complaint about the guy who was hostile, you're in a way stronger position. Especially, if the manager already wants to get rid of this guy. So, just make it about #43.

And I'd add a sentence:

"Although I tried to resolve this matter with the tenant in #43 without having to get you involved, I will address my future complaints regarding this tenant directly to you."

Adding this sentence says two things - gee, I tried not to bring this hassle to you...

And, "hello, I will be contacting you on a regular basis...."

Be a squeaky wheel. If I was your manager, I am betting that I already have given this guy warnings. I might even hang up after talking to you about this and do a little "Yes!" happy dance, as I would have a reason to then give them a formal warning notice, with the hope that I can kick the guy out asap.

Been there. Just be friendly with the manager. Assuming he/she isn't a complete jerk, they'll also want the problem to go away, and they have the power to help make it happen.

But, I can also tell you that I had tenants who complained about all their neighbors (one complained about other tenants singing, and even having sex too loud - really? and they expected me to talk to them about this? LOL!). I got to the point that I hoped other tenants caused her to move.

So, approach them with the idea in mind that if you were the manager, how would you receive the info, in the manner in which you are presenting it? A manager can ignore a situation, if you are a jerk to them as far as how you handle things. OTOH, if a manager likes you and wants to get rid of this problem tenant, they will be your best ally.

Good luck to you.
Thank you for this amazing advice. I followed it to a "T". And I think I definitely got the manager on my side based on her response.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

There is probably some clause in the lease that they can use as a legal means to cancel the lease and evict the tenant.
Yes, there's specific language about disturbing the peace of others. It's on the first page under "Occupancy of the Apartment" in the lease:

Tenant agrees not to interfere, or to allow any pet, guest or family member to interfere with the rights of peaceful enjoyment of other tenants occupying any building of which Tenant's apartment is a part, or do anything on the premises which would present fire hazards, increase insurance rates, or violate any municipal ordinances or codes or federal or state law.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:23 PM

Maybe you can enlist the support and cooperation of other nearby neighbors and get them to complain too. The more complaints by different tenants the more likely the landlord is to take it seriously.

I've done this and it worked.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:34 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
As a landlord I loved it when people complained about my problem tenants. Because it made it easier to get rid of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting