Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2014, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 980 times

Advertisements

My daughter and another girl rented an apartment 10 months ago. The rent has been paid on time and is up to date. My daughter has had no other issues with the landlord during this time. Her roommate let her boyfriend move in without telling the landlord and let his dog stay there without telling the landlord. The landlord found out about both of these violations of the lease and the boyfriend was added to the lease and the dog went to the pound. My daughter and her original roomie have not gotten along for some time. Their lease was due to expire in 8 weeks and the roomie decided she wanted to stay in the apartment but wanted to make sure my daughter was unable to stay there as well. This girl went to the landlord and made accusations against my daughter that 2 of her friends were doing drugs in the living room. She had no proof or witnesses to this, yet my daughter was given notice to vacate immediately the same day that the roommate made the accusations. My daughter was planning on leaving at the end of the lease anyway. Does she still have to pay for the last 2 months rent, since the landlord basically told her to get out? There was no proof behind the accusations, since the incident never happened. The landlord was not willing to listen to my daughters side of the story. We moved her out within 5 days and cleaned as well. This is in virginia. Hopefully someone knows the answer to this. The landlord also refused to do a final walk through after my daughter left and cleaned and said don't even bother her about getting security deposit back until the unit was ready to be rented again. ( we did take time stamped pick tires before and after) thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 05:10 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
The landlord illegally evicted your daughter since there are steps to follow and notice must be given. As long as your daughter has proof (written notice, witnesses) that the LL told her to move out immediately, she has no further obligations under the lease. She should have demanded to be taken off the lease and the LL has no right to withhold her security deposit which must be returned to her once the lease is over in the time proscribed under VA landlord tenant laws (you'll find them linked in the first "sticky" on this forum) less any deductions for damages. Your daughter may end up needing legal advice.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:48 AM

575 posts, read 1,469,467 times
What STT said. Get in touch with an attorney and make sure you document everything. You need to make sure you have proof that the LL told her to get out. If you don't have proof of this, the LL could come back and say your daughter just abandoned the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting