Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 06:35 AM

7 posts, read 11,555 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Thanks in advance, so...I move in this house im renting a room out from a guy who pays the landlord the rent, whatever no problem. I do this as well as people that occupy three other rooms in the house, ok everthing is fine we all pay this guy the same amount of money no issuse, then one day a letter came saying the house has been bought and now we are to start paying rent to the new owners, ok so i call this guy who im paying rent to, he said let me make a call ill take take of it, well later that day I called the new owners myself because i wanted to know whats going on, and the new owner said that everything had been takin care of and to continue paying what ive been paying to the guy whome id already been paying rent to, so im like ok....now two months goes by I pay this same guy no issuses every week problem....until one morning the new owner dropped by saying he hasent been payed in two months and that we would have to leave because he needs to get his home sold or rented out...so I asked if I could rent it...well I had to go thru the application process....and about a week later I got my lease...ive spoke to the housemates and let them know im not changing there rates or kicking people on the street just give me your rent ill provide your reciept and ill go pay rent....well one house guest decided shes not paying the full amount...now i need to fill her room with someone who will pay, how can I get her to leave...or can I put her things out and change the locks since our verbal agreement has been breched? Im the only person on the lease for this house...what can I do to make her pay or leave???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 06:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devin423 View Post
... or can I put her things out and change the locks since our verbal agreement has been breched? Im the only person on the lease for this house...what can I do to make her pay or leave???
No, you can't take matters into your own hands. You are now in the position of being a landlord and are required to give her 30 days written notice. If she doesn't leave then you'll have to go to court and have her evicted. You'll find you state's landlord tenant laws linked in the first "sticky" on this forum so best you start reading through them as the knowledge will make life much easier - in your dealings with the owner of the property too.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:45 AM

Thanks so much for your response, very helpful....am I to give her 30 days even though her payment arnt due every month, there weekly, almost like a hotel stay?

Old 08-04-2014, 08:11 AM

Its just becoming a bunch of confusion shes not paying she moved her boyfriend and her 20 year old daughter in one room also...

Old 08-04-2014, 08:25 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
If she pays rent monthly she's a monthly tenant. If she pays rent weekly she's a weekly tenant and you need to check your state laws to see how much notice you're required to give her. As far as her moving in the boyfriend and the 20 year old daughter I'm flabbergasted that you let this even happen in the first place so don't know what to say. Suggest you start looking into rental agreements for your "tenants" and make sure your LL agrees that you can sublet rooms. Sounds as though you're in a rowboat with no oars.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:35 AM

Exactly, well the other people living in there I noticed when I went upstairs, I dont go up often unless nessasary for privacy reasons I suppose, Also there has been a noticable utility increases so yeah thats a issue for me. Thanks alot for your time, im going to look into this further.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
How is the lease written? Is the lease written with EVERYONE stated on the lease as lease holders OR does EACH person have their own lease which allows them to rent a room in the house.
This is important, depending how the lease is written everyone could be liable for the deadbeat or everyone is responsible for their own rent.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:11 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
And when you issue the 7 day or 30 day notice to vacate...make sure you list all the people living in the unit. List the names you know and then list Jane Doe (so and so's daughter) and John Doe (so and so's boyfriend).

Elec......this isn't a lease and rent is paid weekly (I think?) I don't know...they said it was a monthly amount paid weekly. ::::shrug:::

Old 08-05-2014, 03:54 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
It sounds like you are running what used to be known as a "rooming house," i.e. you are renting out single rooms in residence. Or is the house legally an apartment house?

To me the situation doesn't sound very clear. How is the building registered with the municipality? Knowing this may clarify how you deal with getting rid of occupants.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:32 AM

Thanks everyone for trying to help,

@electrician4you Thanks...the lease is writtin with me as the person renting the house as the only occupant, I just sign last month, but we all were living here under the past ownership, but I just currently signed the lease under the new owner myself. We all came here under rooming house conditions, we all paid weekly, but now the house is leased to me under monthly rent payment dues.

@KimInFl Thanks alot for your help I will definetly keep that in mind, I have the main persons name, but not the daughter nor boyfriend, so this helps me out alot.

@kevxu Thank you, Your absolutly right it was a rooming house, now im trying to rent the house for myself but if your here already then continue to pay rent until you leave. Its a Four bedroom home, that had rooms that were being rented out, then the house was sold and I signed a lease to rent the house with the new owner, and now one of the people in the house refuses to pay or leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting