Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,671 times

Advertisements

I moved into our new rental home three months ago. The landlord mentioned that the old tenants left their washer and dryer behind and that she would get them out.
They're still not out and I have had to find storage for my washer and dryer at a family member's place.
I'm not sure if she is friends with the ex tenants or not. But I have mentioned that I couldn't get mine in till they moved theirs. There is nowhere here to store them.
I offered to even buy them since they are newer than mine and I just wanted the matter dealt with but they wanted more than I was willing to pay.

It seems that it's clear they don't actually NEED them since they've since moved and it's been three months.
The landlord , although seeming sorry numerous times for not getting around to it, doesn't seem that pressed to move them.

I don't want a bad relationship with the LL but at what point do these just become considered "abandoned"?
They wanted $300 for the pair. I've had estimates at about $200. Do I have a legal right to them since I'm pretty much paying for their storage of the items? I don't have their personal info to contact them directly.
And I'm honestly really tired of bringing this up to the LL.
I just want this dealt with and don't want to get rid of mine if they could just show up any day to say "we're here to get our items". :/

What can I do? Besides complain again about it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 05:58 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Sorry, but you already have a bad relationship with the LL and it's going to get worse because he doesn't give a crap about you.

The appliances are between you and the landlord. I suggest you write him a letter saying that it's his responsibility to remove the appliances and if he doesn't remove them by (date) you will put them outside and have Goodwill or the Salvation Army to come pick them up and he (the LL) will be responsible to the former tenants.

Don't bluff. Make good on your promise.

Otherwise, you'll be asking the same question in 6 months and again at 12 months.

By the way, this is kind of your own fault for not insisting they be gone before you signed the lease and handed over any money. The house should have been turnkey.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:59 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Let it go. They probably won't ever come get them so stop worrying about it. I wouldn't take them when you leave though.

Here in AZ if the LL leaves appliances he has to maintain them so if you were here you could try to force repairs if hey stopped working.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:06 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Sorry, but you already have a bad relationship with the LL and it's going to get worse because he doesn't give a crap about you.

The appliances are between you and the landlord. I suggest you write him a letter saying that it's his responsibility to remove the appliances and if he doesn't remove them by (date) you will put them outside and have Goodwill or the Salvation Army to come pick them up and he (the LL) will be responsible to the former tenants.

Don't bluff. Make good on your promise.

Otherwise, you'll be asking the same question in 6 months and again at 12 months.

By the way, this is kind of your own fault for not insisting they be gone before you signed the lease and handed over any money. The house should have been turnkey.
Stop telling people it is okay to arbitrarily get rid of other people's property... The appliances are a part of the leased premises and the lease will say something to that effect. You can't just give a date and trash them if they don't comply it doesn't work like that.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:29 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Stop telling people it is okay to arbitrarily get rid of other people's property... The appliances are a part of the leased premises and the lease will say something to that effect. You can't just give a date and trash them if they don't comply it doesn't work like that.

Sure it does. Try it some time.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:34 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sera3 View Post
What can I do? Besides complain again about it?
Unfortunately, this is a matter for the landlord to deal with. Unless they give you permission (get it in writing) to remove and discard any property in the place, you are stuck with them. Generally, you have no authority to remove anything that would not reasonably be considered trash.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:21 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,189,754 times
Your LL has , by his apologies, basically admitted that he should get them out of there.
Do send him a written request to remove them and your intention to donate them if he doesn't do so.
Unless the washer and dryer are stated in the lease to be provided, they aren't part of it.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:22 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I'd just keep on using the machines. You said they are better machines than the ones you own, so enjoy having them there.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:07 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Just use them. They're newer than yours. And $300 for a washer dryer set is reasonable. But you can get the milk for free, so why buy the cow?

Old 12-01-2017, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 2,671 times
Thank you all for the advice. I think I'm just going to use them for now and assume they won't be coming to get them.
If they do, I'll deal with it then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting