Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2014, 10:05 AM

4 posts, read 13,055 times

Advertisements

Willsur

1 posts
I rent a older home in Billings Mt. My lease agreement says nothing about pest control or water. Land management company suddenly asked us to put the water in our name and start paying it. She picked two random months also that she wants us to pay for. We have an infestation of black widows. We called a pest control company who sprayed once and will continue to do this each month. Never dreamed of asking my landlord to pay for this. What are the laws concerning suddenly asking / telling us to pay water....and pest control responsibility. Again neither Are mentioned in my lease agreement. We have lived here six months. Never been late on paying our rent....always been early. We maintain the yard ....it is huge by the way. We have a company coming out to fertilize and spray for dandelions. It was a wreck when we moved in now it is gorgeous. Never dreamed of asking my landlord to pay for that company either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 10:58 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Generally terms cannot be changed during the term of the lease without unless all parties agree.

My opinion is management is 6 months too early...

Old 09-01-2014, 11:29 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
In general, if it's not specified in the lease, renters of single family homes usually pay for pest control, show removal, lawn care, all utilities. Sometimes landlords pay for lawn care but it's usually specified in the lease.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:33 PM

9,913 posts, read 9,598,551 times
i had a place that didn't specify pest control and the building sent a pest control guy out once a month and we paid a small amount each month.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:06 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,083,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsur View Post
Willsur

1 posts
I rent a older home in Billings Mt. My lease agreement says nothing about pest control or water. Land management company suddenly asked us to put the water in our name and start paying it. She picked two random months also that she wants us to pay for. We have an infestation of black widows. We called a pest control company who sprayed once and will continue to do this each month. Never dreamed of asking my landlord to pay for this. What are the laws concerning suddenly asking / telling us to pay water....and pest control responsibility. Again neither Are mentioned in my lease agreement. We have lived here six months. Never been late on paying our rent....always been early. We maintain the yard ....it is huge by the way. We have a company coming out to fertilize and spray for dandelions. It was a wreck when we moved in now it is gorgeous. Never dreamed of asking my landlord to pay for that company either.
Read up on your state landlord tenant laws:

Montana Landlord Tenant Rights Security Deposits Leases Evictions

Landlord Tenant Law - Evictions - Montana Courts

Some states require that the landlord pay for pest control, many don't and many don't speak to the issue, i.e. its between the tenant and landlord to stipulate what they agree to.

You have lived there 6 months while the landlord was paying the utility bills and you have a one year lease. The landlord demonstrated by paying the utilities for 6 months that this was what they had agreed to. The landlord cannot now suddenly start requiring you to pay the utility bills. They can require that you pay the utilities in the future if they decide to renew the existing lease or allow the lease to roll over into a month to month rental. They would have to give you proper notice of the change, usually 30 days, in which case you could agree to it or move out.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:26 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,401,534 times
I agree with the above poster regarding the utilities.

Routine pest control of one's home is your responsibility especially in a house. (exceptions might be an infestation of carpenter ants or termites) Some condo or apartment communities provide pest control.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:19 AM

Thank you. I will talk to the management company today to find out why suddenly they want us to put the water in our name. I'll report back.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:20 AM

Thanks I will find out today about the
Water and post what happened.

Last edited by Willsur; 09-02-2014 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: Needed more information
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting