Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:00 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,054,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Along the same lines, why set a limit? One bad dog is far worse than three very well behaved dogs. You should definitely go through the questionnaire process and interview the dogs, but what if there are four; and they are the most well trained dogs you've ever seen? I also agree that you can set any rules you want for your own house, but just curious as to the #2 limit?

(While this question is specific to rentals, I guess I'm more curious about these laws as they pertain to certain jurisdictions, which limit # of dogs in owned homes, too.)
If requested, and I'm in the process of modifying my pet information questionnaire, I may post my updated questionnaire with permission for everybody to use it, and release the license to public domain. That means you can use it for free or modify it however you want as long as you don't sell it or attempt to copyright it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
My homeowners insurance will not cover dangerous breeds...which are usually large breed dogs. Also, large dogs do cause more damage and are usually not suited to apartment living.
That's why my questionnaire. I'll appreciate if somebody can update this topic by enumerating a list of dangerous breeds.

By the way, I have already worked on a draft copy of what I call my "Rental Criteria" which includes statements that I honor FHA etc. I haven't needed it yet but I anticipate the need should I ever fall under scrutiny or be asked what my policy is.

My policy is that I follow all applicable laws. There is only trouble ahead if you don't follow every last law and regulation. You might as well spell it out and have it available if anybody asks, particularly the gummint.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I've considered this, too. Hubby says, "Small pet okay with pet deposit", but frankly, many large breeds are quieter and calmer than the small ones. Now he just insists on meeting the pet. We won't allow a puppy. We are fine with sweet, older dogs of any size.
I'm not completely in agreement but I offer the example of a "herd" of 4 chihuahuas as an example of a bunch of small dogs that can cause disturbance to neighbors all out of proportion to probably 20 pounds all together. Plus they can pixx the hell out of your carpets.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
On a practical note, there are a new breed (no pun intended) of rentals that cater to pets. They set up the property and rental practices to be pet friendly should a tenant want a pet. It's a decission owners make regarding their properties and some have decided that there is no logical reason to allow pets. By not having pets, they reduce several common problems. Others ee it as having a larger pool of tenants. Renting is a business and it comes down to just a business decission.
I would have an "absolutely no pets, not even mosquitoes biting your arm outside" if it were up to me, but we are a pet friendly nation and I have my own 16 year dog pound cocker mix 16# Biter who would happily play with burglars while they pilfer my home.

But make no mistake about it. I would have nothing to do with renters with pets, even though my heart is with them, except that I expect I would drastically reduce my pool of renters and thus get lower rental rates. Currently 3 of my 4 tenants have dogs.

None of them have cats because Biter hates cats and I am one with him!!! And really, because everything I have heard from landlords tells me that cats can cause far more damage than dogs. Also, at least in Phoenix, most landlords will not allow cats. The vast majority.

I have an absolute "all dogs must be spayed or neutered" policy, although I have not required proof. Yet.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:14 PM

13,113 posts, read 20,856,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
My rental contract requires dog owners to obtain a rental insurance policy including any liability due to pets with a minimum of $25K coverage and a clause "Landlord to become an 'additional insured' under the policy."

In addition I have liability coverage to $500K on each of my rental properties -- and my homeowners and auto policy too for that matter.

I'm considering paying another $200/month to increase my coverage on all properties to $1M. What do you think?
Each state has liability standards based on statutory laws and case laws. In AZ, owners of dogs have strict liability. The only defense a dog owner has is provocation which does not apply if a child is involved. By AZ strict interpretation of the law, a landlord would not be subject to statutory liability, only the dog's owner. But in Murdock v. Balle, the AZ courts left open the ability to apply common law as to liability and negligence.

How much insurance you need is based more on "what if" and not some absolute. Emotions can play a big part in any claim of liability or negligence. Because you are protected by statues but not protected by case law, it can become a free for all in the court rooms. You need to speak with your business liability insurance advisor and have them go over the details.

As you know, AZ is an extremely landlord friendly state. The laws are written to give landlords all the leg ups they will ever need. However, in giving you so much power, the courts have drawn a line in that if you are responsible or liable, they will slap you hard. They give no mercy to landlords when they hold them liable or responsible.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:21 PM

Thank you Rabrrita for your advice. I'm almost buddies with my AZ insurance agent over our continued dialog about my insurance coverage. Currently we are negotiating a commercial insurance policy covering all of my AZ properties. But be assured I do not take this matter lightly.

Actually pool liability worries me far more than pet liability. Thankfully most or all of my tenants do not have children under an age that would require special treatment. Actually I'm pretty sure all of my tenants have no children under the critical age.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to increase my liability coverage to $1M.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
Quote:
That's why my questionnaire. I'll appreciate if somebody can update this topic by enumerating a list of dangerous breeds.
If you do a search for "insurance dangerous dog breeds" you'll come up with dozens of links but it's all up to the specific insurance company. Some list 5, some list 15 or more and everything in between.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:28 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,307,218 times
Large dogs smell more and this will be an issue when the apartment becomes smelly and cannot be rented to folks without pets.

The poop of large dogs is much larger and causes larger fecal stains on the rug.

Larger dogs also urinate more causing greater damage to the rugs.

Larger dogs have larger paws that cause more destruction.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:43 AM

Julian, where would draw the dividing line at the maximum weight dog?

Old 08-06-2014, 09:45 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,307,218 times
Quote:
Julian, where would draw the dividing line at the maximum weight dog?
At most apartment dwellers should have what is known as a purse dog. A small dog any woman can carry in her purse and walk into any restaurant unnoticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting