Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,409 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've tried searching for this online but I wasn't able to find an answer. I need advice on an issue that I'm having with the new apartment complex I am moving into. I applied for an apartment in May and was put on a waiting list for apartments that were to become available . A month later they called me to tell me they had an apartment available and my scheduled move in date would be Aug 9. A week after they called me again stating that the apartment became unavailable and they were now moving me to another apartment . I agreed to this. A few days later I received a voicemail with a representative stating that they had conflicting dates for move in and wanted to confirm with me what date I was available to move. I called back the same date and told them move in date would be Aug 9, not the 14th as they had in their system, and she confirmed that it would be changed. A day before move in I called to ask what time I should come in to pick up my keys. They stated I could come in at 10 am the next day to sign the lease and pick up my keys. The day of move in I already had moving company loading the truck with my belongings and when I went to go pick up my keys they stated that move in date was the 14th and they did not have our apartment ready for move in and that they don't have any notes where it's states my move in was scheduled for the 9th. I had to pay the movers 300$ for their time and reorganize all the transfers that had been done for the new apartment. They also told me that they would let us move in aug 11 to a temporary apartment until ours would be ready. Today, aug 11, I receiveed a call stating that they won't let us move into the temporary home because it simply can't be done. I am looking to file a claim against them. The evidence I have is all the transfers I made with the electric company, cable company, and renters insurance for the 9th and I also have the voicemail that stated she had in her notes that there were conflicting dates and she needed a confirmation. My question is since I never signed a lease and all of this was done over the phone and in verbal agreements, is it enough evidence to file against them for all the inconvenience and fees it cost me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 12:01 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,807,938 times
I'd be boiling at this point and I'm really hard to rattle. With no lease you're absolutely under no obligation to continue dealing with them but I would absolutely seek legal advice on how you might regain your costs from them. I'd call an attorney TODAY for at least a telephone consult. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting