Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 01:29 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,057 times

Advertisements

My apartment complex requires a 2mth move out notice. They raised my rent (they raise it every time I renew my lease -_-. My lease is up in October ). I am looking for jobs in SA(San Antonio, TX meaning I would be moving) and I don’t know if I will be gone within two months. They need to know by Friday if I will be staying or not, if they don’t hear from me, they will move me to a month to month which is a 250 increase in rent.

What can I do? I need at least another month to decide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 01:34 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Either make a decision by Friday or go month to month with the increase until you decide what your doing.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Either make a decision by Friday or go month to month with the increase until you decide what your doing.
2 months notice seems like too much. I might have to stay but I would have to renew my lease for a year (since it’s the cheapest one, still higher than what I pay now but still cheaper than my other options. They stated theyre offering competitive pricing yet raised their rent by 60.00). I don’t plan on being here for the whole year

Old 08-11-2014, 01:36 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Tough situation but there's really nothing you can do as a 60 day notice is perfectly normal. That's a hefty increase going month to month but, again, there's nothing you can do unless they're willing to negotiate down a little. All you can do is talk to them and see if you can work out something temporarily.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Tough situation but there's really nothing you can do as a 60 day notice is perfectly normal. That's a hefty increase going month to month but, again, there's nothing you can do unless they're willing to negotiate down a little. All you can do is talk to them and see if you can work out something temporarily.
Why do LL require a notice like this? I understand a month notice but 2mths seems like too much to me

Old 08-11-2014, 02:10 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
They want it because you signed a lease agreeing to give them 2 months notice. They want enough extra time to make sure they have a renter in place for when you leave. You may be able to negotiate a slightly lower month to month rate but this is what they apparently have as their terms and it's what you agreed to. It would be nice if the timing worked out better for you in terms of knowing your future plans, but unfortunately, life doesn't always work out that way. Hopefully you'll land a new job and be gone before you have to pay more than a month of the month-to-month rate!

Old 08-11-2014, 02:56 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
I would just go month to month with the extra $250/mo. This way you aren't stuck for 1 year. That could cost a lot more than the $250/month extra.

If you go month to month, does it also require 60 day notice? I would try to negotiate 30 day notice on the new month-to-month - since you will be paying the extra $250 for the convenience of month to month.

Another option if you dont want MTM - see if they have 3 month lease for better monthly rate.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:17 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
Why do LL require a notice like this? I understand a month notice but 2mths seems like too much to me
For many tenants where the LL gives the 60 day notice of intent not to renew the lease, it's a boon as it gives them more time to look around and find the next "right place" to move into. For people working full time and long hours, apartment hunting can be a real chore to fit in and it's generally not a good idea to be in a rush with so much to take into consideration.

As I mentioned before, it's not at all unusual but in this case it just doesn't work for your particular circumstances. I'm sure it'll all work out!

Old 08-11-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I would just go month to month with the extra $250/mo. This way you aren't stuck for 1 year. That could cost a lot more than the $250/month extra.

If you go month to month, does it also require 60 day notice? I would try to negotiate 30 day notice on the new month-to-month - since you will be paying the extra $250 for the convenience of month to month.

Another option if you dont want MTM - see if they have 3 month lease for better monthly rate.
3mth is about 15.00 cheaper than the MTH option. It's ridiculous what they are charging. There are nicer apartments than this one that are not as expensive!

Old 08-11-2014, 08:36 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,579,736 times
two months notice is common here in chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting