Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 10:35 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,807,755 times

Advertisements

Tenant moved in May 2014. One week ago, he notified me that she suspected bed bugs in her unit. After visual inspection it was confirmed that bed bug infestation was correct. Pest control svc is eradicating the unit today ($1,050.00).

I have spent the last 7 days reading/learning as much as I can about bed bugs from visiting several websites (CDC, EPA just to name a few), contacted 5 +/- pest control svcs, and spoken with 3 county health depts.
Have learned that bed bugs can hitchhike in by virutally any living thing, fabric/textile.

Okay I operate my rental business legally and morally. This is my call for help:
1 - how do you handle your move outs? Do you have pest(s) inspection before a move out? (To ensure that bed bugs are not present)
2 - how do you handle move ins? Do you require your new tenants sign a document stating that they are not bringing in bed bugs/pests?
3 - do you require your tenants to have certified mattress encasements?
4 - do you have a procedure that shows you are dutifully doing all possible efforts thus would reflect that you are not responsible for bug infestation?

any / all ideas/help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 10:51 AM

9,895 posts, read 9,540,860 times
1. Get the heat treatment by a professional. it will kill them with one treatment.
2. these bugs are sneaky and can come in from god knows where. you have to handle it right away or else they will multiply. the tenant can sign the paper in good faith, but might catch one somewhere and bring it home and now you have them. mattress encasements - yes 100% good idea, but not enforceable legally. tenant or landlord may be responsible for $$$ if on purpose the problem is known and it is not taken care of right away. your city might have an ordinance that you each must follow or $$$ fines will happen. keep everything in writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting