Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 06:16 PM

10 posts, read 11,579 times

Advertisements

My Tenants are moving and while they have been great tenants they are now being a pain in the behind.
They have fought me on entering the property to do an inspection, and now are fighting on me showing the property. I keep having to give 48hr notices to enter without consent.They aren't even staying at the property anymore and almost all their belongings are out of the house minus a few large items that they need a moving truck for.
So after 2 days of trying to schedule showings, I finally had enough and gave them a 48hr notice to enter for the purpose of showing the property, well low and behold they will be there now ( after telling me there is no way they can schedule to be at the house within the next week) and their response was they will try to keep their kids off the possible new renters ( their kids were literally climbing all over me and my spouse this past weekend when we were trying to do the pre move out inspection). So can I legally request they not be there during the showing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 06:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,662,699 times
I doubt it. Why don't you save yourself the aggravation and the possibility of losing a prospective tenant by waiting until the current tenants are moved out and the place is all cleaned up before showing it?

Old 08-13-2014, 06:38 PM

I plan on it after the showing I just scheduled. I just figured it didn't hurt to ask on here if I could ask them not to be there during a showing bc I'd really like to have a new renter lined up right away since the house has already been sitting essentially vacant for at least 2 weeks to my knowledge but I have a feeling its been empty longer. I worry about it looking and been vacant for too long.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:02 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,492,233 times
Well with notice you can enter. Personally I would wait until after their mast day and start showing it. Why did they leave? You gave them notice to vacate or raised the rent? They could simply be retaliating if that's the case. As long as they are still in a effective lease you simply give notice. You can say I will be entering the property between 8 am and 5pm on x day.

Either way you can just wait until they vacate. Do a walk through TWO weeks before their last day. Write down EVERY SINGLE ITEM that they damaged and expect it to be fixed. On their last day do a final walk through. Send the request certified letter so they can't claim you never notified them. And they don't have to be there for the either walk through.
That's if you want to dick around with it. I would charge for any real damage. And 21 days or whatever your state law requires send them a refund with a itemized letter of whatever repairs you dupe ducted for.

They don't have to vacate when you show the place. A new tenant should understand that its a lived in rental. And the crazy tenants currently living there will be gone. Oh make sure you change the locks ASAP after they leave. I switched all my rentals to the smart key. I have a key cutter so I can rekey at any time.

A good tenant usually isn't this vindictive unless they were kicked somehow. They seem to be retaliatory for some reason.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:29 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,469,411 times
You cannot force them to leave for showings. And they cannot deny you from showing it as long as you give proper notice and show at proper times IF your state gives time requirements. If they dont let you in, then you use the key. If they refuse entry, you call the police. Make sure to have your lease handy if it comes to that.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:16 PM

Thats the crazy thing about all this, for their yr lease they were great. I only heard from them a few times throughout the year. So I don't understand what is going on now and why there is so much drama going on with them leaving. I feel like they are hiding something but there doesn't appear to be anything to hide. I spoke to the wife in detail today and she keeps saying she doesn't feel comfortable with me or other people "snooping" around her things, and that she is worried someone will break into the house and take her stuff. But the neighborhood is great and never had any issues, and as far as any snooping goes the only time Ive entered the property aside from this weekends inspection for their moving out, was to do a repair and she was home and followed me the whole time and I wasn't even there for 15 mins. Oh well though, they were still better tenants than my first ones so I'll just be happy on that fact and show after they move out and the locks are changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting