Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 01:37 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,836,700 times

Advertisements

Confused. On your prior post you claim that the exterminator identified the infestation on August 12. You also claim that they are holding you responsible for the infestation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 07:31 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Here is what you can do once the exterminator does his job -

buy mattress encasements made specifically to keep bed bugs out. it costs a little more than just a matress cover, but far less expensive than a new bed costs.

Buy bedbug interceptors - little bowl type dishes that you put under each foot of the bed, and under your furniture so that if you get any they cannot climb your bed and will fall into the dish and die.

If you are sleeping in any part of your house, the bugs will travel to find you and you will take them there.

you have to wash everything and extermination and the clean up after, and the stress, etc, wears you out. I know what the OP is going thru, its very stressful, tiring, lots of work, lots of emotional crap that comes along with it.

Once you take care of this, life begins again. Please see your city ordinance to see who is responsible, here in Chicago, its the landlord.

After this, I will never buy anything from a garage sale, antique store, 2nd hand store, Goodwill store, flea market, yard sale, etc. NEVER.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:33 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Bug sprays & bug bombs only make the matter worse! You will never eradicate them that way since they will seek shelter behind picture frames, in closets, in electrical sockets, & any other cracks & crevices they can find. One product that many bed bug sufferers swear by is called "Diatomaceous Earth", however make sure you buy the food grade version & not the swimming pool version because it's too hazardous. It can be bought at weed & feed stores or the Home Depot. It is a powder that you use by dusting through out your apt with a dusting brush, it's advisable to wear a mask to keep from inhaling the dust. What it does: It's similar to fiberglass although it's not harmful to humans unless inhaled. When bugs walk thru it cuts their exoskeletons which kills them. It's a slow killer, can take a few days before seeing results. You must wash all your clothes in hot water & dry on hot then keep them enclosed in sealed containers or bags. For the best & most thorough source of info visit bedbugger.com, they tell you exactly what to do & what the results will be. Be sure to read the forum section where other sufferers post their comments & suggestions. I agree with the other poster to contact your local board of health officials who will put the pressure on your landlord. Good luck.
This works the best. You start by spreading it into your baseboards, and they won't be able to get through that way, they'll due.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:16 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,586,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybutt2 View Post
You know how I got bedbugs? A book off Amazon. I unwrapped it and set it on my dresser. When I came back I saw them crawling on the book. By then it was too late. It was the first time in my life I had ever seen them. I almost thought they were a myth but I knew exactly what they were like I had a built in instinct. They are impossible to get rid of unless you burn your house down or do the $3000 heat treatment. They hide in everything and I do mean everything. TV's, computers, books, dressers, pictures, boxes. I heard if you block off your bed they will crawl up the wall onto the ceiling and drop down onto you. They are the most evil minion of satan ever to crawl upon the earth.
Was it a used book? omg.. thats awfull .. I will never buy anything used ever.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
to answer your question about withholding rent...no, you cannot withhold rent because she was on vacation.

If you choose to withhold rent anyway, be prepared to be evicted..bedbugs or not..you need to pay your rent

Old 08-26-2014, 09:41 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Not so fast with stating it is a LL responsibility.

In the law it is clearly stated;

(a) Unless otherwise agreed in writing, in addition to the requirements of subsection (1), THE LANDLORD of a dwelling unit other than a

single-family home or duplex shall, at all times during the tenancy, MAKE REASONABLE PROVISIONS FOR:

1. The EXTERMINATION OF RATS, MICE, ROACHES, ANTS, WOOD-DESTROYING ORGANISMS, AND BED BUGS.

(4) THE LANDLORD IS NOT RESPONSIBLE to the tenant under this section for conditions CREATED OR CAUSED BY THE

NEGLIGENT OR WRONGFUL ACT OR OMISSION OF THE TENANT, a member of the tenant's family, or other person on the premises with the tenant's consent.
All our leases have it as a tenants responsibility since non of our properties ever had bed bugs so if they show up they are brought in by tenants in either suitcases, matrasses or in their furniture!

Keep in mind if they weren't present at the time of move in and no history exist of ever having bed bugs than the chances are high that the tenant or one of their guests brought them in.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:45 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Question I just don't understand...

Why are LL's held responsible for bed bugs? Unless the rental unit came fully furnished? It seems to me that the tenant would have brought them in. Just curious.
Koale

Old 08-26-2014, 11:47 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Why are LL's held responsible for bed bugs? Unless the rental unit came fully furnished? It seems to me that the tenant would have brought them in. Just curious.
Koale
Exactly, unless it is an existing condition and not treated prior to a new tenant moving in.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Different states have different remedies but most of the time it seems that the onus falls on the LL to take care of the necessary treatments as it's very hard to actually prove that a tenant brought in the bedbugs. Frankly, if I were LL of a multi-unit complex I think I would rather get the job done myself by a professional exterminator than reply on a tenant's home remedy as these things can quickly spread from one unit to another once in the building.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,248 times
I am in Volusia County Florida in a one room rental in a type of boarding house. 4 rooms upstairs and one downstairs. Every room is infested and our landlord actually brings in a coleman grill fueled by propane and makes us one room at a time leave for up to 5 hours while he heats the room up to 140 degrees, then moves it to another room!!!!!!!!!!!! I am mortified, this is the most ridiculous, unsafe thing i have ever seen. I am afraid the house will burn down, plus the inconvienance of over a week having to be displaced from your home in 103 degree days. Of course this does not work and I can not afford to move or i would, i feel stuck, and humilated to be put through such antics of the landlord. I do not know what to do, I can not afford an attorney. Any suggestions I welcome. Thank You. Im sorry I did not specify BED BUGS. We have rats also but remarkably, I have seen no cockroaches since ive moved in August 1st. I am wanting to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting