Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 03:36 AM

699 posts, read 1,014,615 times

Advertisements

We just purchased a beautiful home in a safe U.S. neighborhood where there are no extremes in weather temperature. My husband's work requires we live overseas for one more year. Our plan is to move into the house when he retires a year from now. The house is not furnished yet, and has hardwood and ceramic floors, no carpet. We have a friend who will check it from time to time and have someone who will do yard work.

Our realtor is also a property manager and is encouraging us to rent the house through him. That idea does appeal to us because we don't like the idea of the house sitting empty for a year. We have never had the experience of being landlords and that is why I'm posting here. The house is located in an area where companies move workers in and out and are looking for one year leases. One issue for us is while we love animals, we are concerned about renting to folks with pets. Our property manager says that it is difficult to find renters who do not have pets. And while the extra rental income would be nice, we don't NEED it. The main advantage would be someone living there and taking care of the property for us while we are gone.

Because we have no experience with renting property, I am hoping to hear your experience as a landlord....or if there is anything I may be overlooking....I don't know what questions to ask here.....suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 05:28 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Tough call but, given your circumstances, I'd be inclined to leave the house empty. I'm not so sure I would be comfortable with a property manager who claims that, "it is difficult to find renters who do not have pets." It's perfectly normal for landlords to have a "no pets" clause in their leases. As long as you have responsible trustworthy people keeping an eye on the property, let it sit. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2014, 06:45 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Get a good monitored security system. Your house will be in the same condition as you left it.

Old 08-14-2014, 06:49 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,477,771 times
In your situation, I would leave it empty. Your realtor sounds lazy if she is trying to push you into accepting pets. Wonder what other things she might be lazy about when choosing the renters which could get you lower quality renters that might not leave the home in the condition that you expect. That could be a major headache.

For now, CHECK your homeowner's insurance to ensure it covers the empty home. Most have exclusion clauses for vacant homes. It's not that much more expensive to insure it when vacant, but you need to have the property policy else you risk the insurance denying claims that could possibly happen.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:49 AM

639 posts, read 1,963,447 times
If you want it to get damaged, rent it out. If you want it to be taken care of, hire a caretaker. Very few renters take care of a property.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:55 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Agree with the others. Don't rent it. Your realtor sounds like she is trying to get some extra money as a property manager.

Plus it's just SO freaking nice to move into a home that NO ONE has EVER lived in before! I've had the pleasure twice (once as a renter, now as an owner) and it feels way better than you would expect.

BTW, have to ask: Where is this magical place in the US that has no weather extremes?

Old 08-14-2014, 11:10 AM

912 posts, read 5,259,421 times
If you don't need the money from renting this property to survive and avoid bankruptcy, just leave it empty.

No need to risk damage, bad tenants, and a host of other headaches, unless of course, you absolutely need this money.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:15 PM

Can't thank you all enough for your thoughts and suggestions. You validated my gut feeling to leave it empty......there is no security system so that is first on my to do list. So glad I asked.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:51 PM

19,433 posts, read 27,819,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Can't thank you all enough for your thoughts and suggestions. You validated my gut feeling to leave it empty......there is no security system so that is first on my to do list. So glad I asked.
Get a wireless security system. The wired ones are a thing of the past. . .

Old 08-14-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Get a wireless security system. The wired ones are a thing of the past. . .
Can you recommend a specific brand or company? Should I go with national brand or local? Maybe I'll start a new thread somewhere about this. Hope it is allowed to share name brands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting