Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:34 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
What databases are you using? It would be helpful if you could share that information.
• Major household appliances: life expectancy 2011 | Statistics
heres one that I found. but I find the statistics to be bs with how cheaply things are made today. and I also think that there life span also depends on how there taken care of and used but stilleverything is made cheaper today than years ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 11:29 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Smart move.

I saw a property for sale a few years back and the evicted tenants took everything BUT the kitchen sink (it was filled with dirty dishes sitting in tepid/smelly water), the fridge (you can imagine why they left it), and their kids first communion pictures. They left them hanging on the walls.

All cabinets were gone (except the base the sink was in) & they took the stove.
I have been investing in single family homes also and those come fully applianced. but those are on a lease to own for 12 or 24 months with the tenant being responsible for repairs that also ends a lot of tenant and land lord nightmares. and at the end of the contract if the tenant wants to goto a bank and get financing and cash me out then there more than welcome to!! but if the tenant is unable to get a loan from a bank and i'm still wanting to collect a monthly income stream then I will reiterate the same lease to own agreement in place for 12 or 24 months wich keeps me from having to make repairs on the property and gives me a more positive cash flow

Old 08-15-2014, 12:30 AM

13 posts, read 19,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
If the refrigerator was 5 years old when they moved in and they lived there for 5 years, forget it. It is close enough to its useful life

If the refrigerator was brand new when they moved in and therefore, 5 years old at the end of the lease, you can charge them 50% (assuming a useful life of 10 years which is somewhat normal) of your purchase price, not the going rate of a similar refrigerator
Just to clarify my scenario re the fridge/freezer: It was 5 years old when tenants moved in. Originally fridge was not to be included, however they wanted it to stay. I agreed to include it and I paid extra premium on the home warranty to cover for repairs. The tenant was responsible for the call out charge in case of problems on just the fridge. This was listed in the tenancy agreement. They claim, that at some point that they cannot recall when the fridge leaked and they had it replaced. Did not call us at all to arrange for call out for repair, or replacement if it could not be repaired.

These are the same people who, otherwise, have called us out for everything else and wanted it done NOW. Mangled forks in the garbage disposable, kids toys stuffed down the drains in the toilet and sinks. AC vents have kids beads, pens and whatever you couldn't imagine stuffed down them. We have to pay each time to rectify.

The fridge could have been repaired or replaced by the home warranty. The fact is it has just disappeared and they do not now accept that it is their responsibility to ensure it should still be there. That's the main question is whether they can claim that they can do as they please and ignore the lease when it suits them. The fact that they have gone very quite for the past few weeks concerns me.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurpur View Post
That's the main question is whether they can claim that they can do as they please and ignore the lease when it suits them.
Absolutely not.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Absolutely not.
Thank's for the re-assurance. Will wait and see if/when they contact me again.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:45 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurpur View Post
Just to clarify my scenario re the fridge/freezer: It was 5 years old when tenants moved in. Originally fridge was not to be included, however they wanted it to stay. I agreed to include it and I paid extra premium on the home warranty to cover for repairs. The tenant was responsible for the call out charge in case of problems on just the fridge. This was listed in the tenancy agreement. They claim, that at some point that they cannot recall when the fridge leaked and they had it replaced. Did not call us at all to arrange for call out for repair, or replacement if it could not be repaired.

These are the same people who, otherwise, have called us out for everything else and wanted it done NOW. Mangled forks in the garbage disposable, kids toys stuffed down the drains in the toilet and sinks. AC vents have kids beads, pens and whatever you couldn't imagine stuffed down them. We have to pay each time to rectify.

The fridge could have been repaired or replaced by the home warranty. The fact is it has just disappeared and they do not now accept that it is their responsibility to ensure it should still be there. That's the main question is whether they can claim that they can do as they please and ignore the lease when it suits them. The fact that they have gone very quite for the past few weeks concerns me.

I would of sent the bill for EVERY one of those instances where they broke, stuffed or smashed. None go those instances are your fault. I don't allow tenants to do ANY repairs. The fridge is absolutely chargeable. Its outright theft IMO. If it stopped working fine call me and tell me. It's MY decision what to replace it with not yours. They want to take you to court let them. If its their fault they get charged.

What you should do is do better screening of tenants. If you are showing the place and their kids are running around like animals it doesn't matter what they say. They have no control over their kids.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:47 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
OP, it is standard operating procedure for tenants that have trashed your house to threaten to sue you, so if you are going to be a landlord, get used to it.

They very rarely actually sue. They are trying to spook you into giving back the deposit. If they do take you to small claims court, you just take your rental agreements and the move-put photos and counter-sue for the balance of the damage. The judge might not give you the additional, but he sure won't give them anything either.

The tenants know that it is a waste of their time to go to court, but it doesn't cost them anything to try to intimidate you.

Note, make sure that you always get a receipt from the post office when you mail refunds. If a tenant actually does take you to court, you need proof that the refund was mailed within the time limit.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:50 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Additional: I suggest that you tighten up your screening procedures. Those people have not been perfect tenants all their lives and suddenly turned into slobs just for you. They have trashed other rentals and you didn't catch it when you screened.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:53 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
What databases are you using? It would be helpful if you could share that information.
Apart from the one which another poster linked, there are a whole bunch of them which come up if you do a search for, "refrigerator life expectancy". Obviously there's a variance depending on manufacturer, care and feeding of it, etc. but 15 years seems to be a fair average.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:59 AM

This was a first rental so I made mistakes. First was that they were recommended by a mutual contact - who has now moved out of state, so I did not take out additional references......I know big mistake! Only one child and she was three at the time ......cute as a button but grew up and not controlled by parents. Did I mention that they had bong jars in the basement along with used matches and candles ...... right next to the gas water heater? Listening to some of the other stories, it looks as if I am lucky to to have a house that is still standing!

Appreciate all advice given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting