Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2014, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,085 times

Advertisements

I moved out of a great apartment complex in California and am still obligated to pay the rent until mid-September. I want to use the gym and pool as long as I'm paying rent, but the management cites company policy as not allowing me to do that after I turned-in my keys. The lease doesn't say anything about that or even that such a policy exists.

Do I have a right under the lease agreement to access the property, or do I have to go along with their policy? I haven't seen anything about this on any Internet site, and landlord-tenant disputes are more about evictions and security deposits. Thanks for anyone's ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 01:48 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,440,049 times
Once you turn in keys the LL has regained possession of the property so no, you can't go back in there. Had you not turned over possession and retained the keys until your lease was up then it would be a different situation.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Once you turn in keys the LL has regained possession of the property so no, you can't go back in there. Had you not turned over possession and retained the keys until your lease was up then it would be a different situation.
Thanks for your quick reply. I've figured a work-around: My friends there can have me as their guest at the pool, so that's good enough.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:57 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,440,049 times
With deference to my feline friends, there's more than one way to skin a cat!

Old 08-27-2014, 05:13 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
With deference to my feline friends, there's more than one way to skin a cat!

And 1200 ways to cook one

Old 08-27-2014, 08:44 PM

9,863 posts, read 13,990,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drAndrew View Post
I moved out of a great apartment complex in California and am still obligated to pay the rent until mid-September. I want to use the gym and pool as long as I'm paying rent, but the management cites company policy as not allowing me to do that after I turned-in my keys. The lease doesn't say anything about that or even that such a policy exists.

Do I have a right under the lease agreement to access the property, or do I have to go along with their policy? I haven't seen anything about this on any Internet site, and landlord-tenant disputes are more about evictions and security deposits. Thanks for anyone's ideas.
If I was responsible for the rent payment until a certain date, I'd never turn my keys in earlier.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:46 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,006,822 times
I would not turn in my keys as long as I was paying rent. They could rent out that same apartment and get double income on it. If you don't turn in the keys you should be able to access the facilities.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-27-2014, 11:12 PM

13,057 posts, read 20,718,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
If I was responsible for the rent payment until a certain date, I'd never turn my keys in earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would not turn in my keys as long as I was paying rent. They could rent out that same apartment and get double income on it. If you don't turn in the keys you should be able to access the facilities.

In CA, once possession is returned to the landlord, unless the tenant was in violation of a notice period, if the landlord rents the place, the previous tenant's obligation to continue paying terminates and the landlord must refund any pro-rated rent collected. Under a return of possession, the landlord has a duty to mitigate if they are continuing to collect rent from the departing tenant.

If the tenant followed the advice to retain the keys (keep possession), the landlord has no duty to mitigate and the tenant is absolutely on the hook for the rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting