Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 11:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,877 times

Advertisements

Me & my wife rented apartment & both our names were on the lease agreement.

After several months I temporarily moved to another city for studies & we decided to find her roommate to share expenses.

I didn't speak to Landlord & didn't sign anything.

But I wrote him the following text message:

Dear Xxx, hello! It's Xxx from apartment N. I have a request for you: a month ago I moved to N for a school & my wife is living in the apartment. We decided that we want to invite someone to live there with her instead of me (to share costs & rent). We found an Xxx, who's really nice, works in xxx & can provide all the necessary documentation to check her background. Can you contact my wife & schedule a meeting with her & this woman to sign all the papers asap? We want it all to be official, not just let her in without notifying you. Thanks!

Roomate moved in, paid his part of security deposit to my wife.

So the question is, that could the Landlord & my wife legally remove me from the Lease Agreement after my text message? And then add the other tenant instead of me? Or make a new agreement with only them two without me?

Or removing me on the basis of text message was illegal & their new agreement is not valid?

I plan to return back to this apartment & there's an extra room there to live in, which I want to occupy. Then at the end of lease agreement date I'd like to get my deposit back.

But my wife doesn't want me back there.

If my wife calls the cops on me because she doesn't want me there & I'll show them printed out copy of original lease & she shows them the new lease, what the cops will do?

P.s. question is about Calofornian laws in particular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 04:11 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,131,555 times
You want to move back in, but your wife doesn't want you there? Regardless of the legality of it, it's not a good idea to move back. Find another place to live.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:37 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
First of all a txt doesn't make a situation legal. Your name not being on the lease may not be important or can be important based on your state laws regarding married couples.

You need to inquire with a lawyer but first need to make up your mind if making more of a mess is wise.

Old 08-25-2014, 05:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
No, you cannot be removed from the lease without your permission. The police will do nothing as it's a civil issue. This in no way encourages you to try and move back in as obviously that's bizarre - but that's a subject for the relationship forum! And, by the way, as long as you're a party to the lease you're still responsible for the fulfillment of its terms. If at any time the LL sues for unpaid rent or damages, you're on the hook.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:42 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Exclamation hmmm...

sounds more like she kicked you out and moved in a boyfriend and now she wants you off the lease.
best of luck...move on.
K

Old 08-25-2014, 07:36 AM

She did kick me out & I decided to go for studies but before that she convinced me to pay for a full month upfront.

Now I want to move back in several days after she pays rent to live this free month there & also get my part of deposit back.

If she convinced landlord that I'm not coming back when her roommate moved in, then they could make a new lease & I'm afraid if she calls cops & shows them lease without my name & I show a copy of lease with my name, they believe her not me & kick me out

Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaladvice2014 View Post
She did kick me out & I decided to go for studies but before that she convinced me to pay for a full month upfront.

Now I want to move back in several days after she pays rent to live this free month there & also get my part of deposit back.

If she convinced landlord that I'm not coming back when her roommate moved in, then they could make a new lease & I'm afraid if she calls cops & shows them lease without my name & I show a copy of lease with my name, they believe her not me & kick me out
You will not get your deposit back until the lease has ended and the tenants have moved out. If you are taken off the lease and your wife continues to live there then you will make arrangements with her to return your part of the security deposit. The security deposit is attached to the lease.

To repeat - you cannot be removed from the lease without the permission of all signatories to the lease which includes you and nobody else can be added to the lease without that same permission. You are well advised to have yourself removed from the lease and removed from all obligations thereto, and stop looking to play games and fuel a fire.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:05 AM

The question is:

If my text message could be considered as my permission to remove me from lease or replace me on it?

The text' s text is in the first post.

If not then I'll just print out copy of old agreement & move in & if the call the cops I'm still good.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:09 AM

245 posts, read 291,888 times
Why would you move back in?

It is better that you are off the lease and no longer liable for any rent payments or damages.

Last edited by br1n; 08-25-2014 at 09:04 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaladvice2014 View Post
The question is:

If my text message could be considered as my permission to remove me from lease or replace me on it?

The text' s text is in the first post.

If not then I'll just print out copy of old agreement & move in & if the call the cops I'm still good.
You are not reading/understanding. NO, your text message is NOT a legal instrument which can remove you from the lease. Did your LL even respond to your text?

And again, the police will not intervene in a civil matter about a lease. Why are you so bound and determined to simply make trouble? Grow up and deal with this intelligently and maturely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting