Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 19,214 times

Advertisements

Moved into an apartment with the following defects (I did not see the apartment until I moved in; my roommates saw it but it was full of furniture):

1) There is a hill in the living floor and small sagging from this point to the inner & outer wall.
2) A room behind the living has bad sagging.
3) Second room has minor sagging.

From what I have been told the apartment was made in the 70s.

The property management contacted the landlord after I called and complained about it. There contractor said it was fine and suggested to the landlord that no repair was need as there was no cracked wood.

However, the hill in the living room and the sagging in the room behind it are caused by a wall in the garage (this wall sits higher then the floor and thus the hill in the living room. SO clearly this screams poor construction done if a wall on the first floor is higher & raises the floor above it causing a hill and sagging.

No information was given on the minor sagging in the other room.

I have been told by the property management that it is "safe" and wont cave in and thus no plans to fix it. However, sagging no matter what it is caused from can't be good and in my opinion should be fixed. Is there anything I can do to get them to fix it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 10:45 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HebiKumo View Post
However, sagging no matter what it is caused from can't be good and in my opinion should be fixed. Is there anything I can do to get them to fix it?
You can hire a structural engineer (at your expense) to come in provide a written report that supports your belief. You may be able to file a complaint with your jurisdiction and have a building inspector come out, inspect and issue a notice to correct if they believe it's a hazard. You can run down to the courts and review case law on warranty of habitability and see if you can find decissions and the basis of those decissions regarding sagging floors.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:15 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
Wood is always working and it is not unusual to find some settling.

If the floor is a deal breaker simply move at the end of your lease.

One of our friends in school lived in a home with a bedroom floor noticeably slanted... we would roll marbles across the hardwood...

As far as I know... the floor is still slanted.

On the flip side, you have put everyone on notice as to your concerns...

Old 08-29-2014, 10:33 AM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
If it wasn't obvious when you looked at the place before moving in, how bad can it be?

Old 09-11-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
If it wasn't obvious when you looked at the place before moving in, how bad can it be?

If it wasn't obvious to you I explained this already in the original post:

Quote:
I did not see the apartment until I moved in; my roommates saw it but it was full of furniture

Old 09-11-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Wood is always working and it is not unusual to find some settling.
I am aware of this, but the issue is a construction flaw. A wall on the first floor is higher causing a hill in the living room & bedroom behind the living room. NO doubt at one time the floor was tilted, but flat. It is sagging because of the wall on the 1st floor.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Moved into an apartment with the following defects (I did not see the apartment until I moved in; my roommates saw it but it was full of furniture):

1) There is a hill in the living floor and small sagging from this point to the inner & outer wall.
2) A room behind the living has bad sagging.
3) Second room has minor sagging.

From what I have been told the apartment was made in the 70s.

The property management contacted the landlord after I called and complained about it. There contractor said it was fine and suggested to the landlord that no repair was need as there was no cracked wood.

However, the hill in the living room and the sagging in the room behind it are caused by a wall in the garage (this wall sits higher then the floor and thus the hill in the living room. SO clearly this screams poor construction done if a wall on the first floor is higher & raises the floor above it causing a hill and sagging.

No information was given on the minor sagging in the other room.

I have been told by the property management that it is "safe" and wont cave in and thus no plans to fix it. However, sagging no matter what it is caused from can't be good and in my opinion should be fixed. Is there anything I can do to get them to fix it?

Unfortunately you're not gonna get them to fix it because it's not a safety issue. Its not even a health issue. It's simply something that you don't like. I can understand if the place was leaning like the Tower of Pisa and the frame was rotting. If its that huge a issue simply give your notice and find another place.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:54 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
If it wasn't obvious to you I explained this already in the original post:
Snark much....Gees....You aren't buying the place, you're renting. Honestly, do you think you are the first person to notice this. They aren't going to fix it. Live with it, or move.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:41 PM

784 posts, read 728,323 times
I am sure your rent has already reflected the condition of the apartment.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:23 AM

37,127 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Sadly there is no law against cheap construction. Or at least there wasn't in the 70's.

I know apartments like that. Cheap, junky, noisy, hot/cold, whatever. That's why I always hated living in apartments. If I could wave a magic wand and change all of them into solid, insulated, soundproofed, well designed places life would be better for everyone. Too bad that's just a dream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting