Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 02:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,550 times

Advertisements

As a tenant, do you have to let the Landlord bring strangers into your home? We are going through this process right now and my roommates and I are not comfortable with them showing prospective tenants through our house with all of our belongings still inside. Do we have the right to tell them that we would appreciate it if they waited until we moved out?

Also, we are in CA and would have been fine with letting them show the house while we were home but they became quite rude with us when we told them that the time they offered was not good for us. They have also been very intrusive and have not respected our privacy for 11 months so far-thanking our lucky stars this is the last month of the lease!

?????Do we have the right to not let them bring through prospective tenants????

Last edited by ihatelandlords; 11-03-2011 at 02:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,349,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatelandlords View Post
we are in CA and would have been fine with letting them show the house while we were home but they became quite rude with us when we told them that the time they offered was not good for us.
Here are the rules for California...

Quote:
The landlord or the landlord's agent must give the tenant reasonable advance notice in writing before entering the unit, and can enter only during normal business hours (generally, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on weekdays). The notice must state the date, approximate time and purpose of entry.
California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs
Usually 24 hours is considered reasonable advance notice.

Since the hours they can legally show the house are kind of restrictive - and may not be when potential renters want to tour the house - I would see if you can work with your landlord - tell them you'll be happy to have them come through on weekends, even though legally you don't have to allow that - as long as they only come when you can be there too.

Maybe if you give a little, they'll give a little, and you can both get what you want?

Old 11-03-2011, 08:06 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times
To clarify, CA law does say that LL entry should be within business hours of 8-5 weekdays unless otherwise agreed to by the tenant(s).

Yes, OP, you definitely do have rights and, as poster bouncethelight pointed out, best to have a sit-down with the LL and explain the state law to him. The last month of a tenancy is particularly stressful when the moving process is underway and just because the LL is looking for a quick turnover is no reason for basic rules to be ignored. Frankly I don't understand why on earth you put up with similar intrusions for 11 months but it's never too late to become educated either as a tenant or a landlord. Good luck!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:03 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,231,574 times
It's in my rental agreement that I may show property or inspect at my discretion. But, I have never, I am showing one Saturday, but, Left a note, sent a text and left a voice mail.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:02 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,358,788 times
We also have in our lease that we can show the place with reasonable notice after the tenant has given notice that they are moving. The place is expected to be in reasonable showing condition. ie boxes and some chaos are expected, but dirty is not.

Our state does not mandate "written notice", so we always just call and make arrangements with the tenant. We also try to schedule several people for the same day, so that we inconvenience the tenant as little as possible, so we might have 5 on one day instead of one every day for 5 days. Sounds like your state does mandate written notice, so you can be a stickler and demand that if you choose.

In short, if your lease says you are required to cooperate, then as long as they follow any state laws, you do not have the right to deny them.

In my personal opinion, if you are adamant about this and will not allow it to be shown until you vacate AT ALL, in violation of the lease, as a landlord, the only way I would agree to this is if you continue paying rent after you move out for either another 30 days or until it is rented, whichever comes first. If you feel strongly enough about it, that may be an option your LL will agree to.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,337 times
All my leases state clearly that if the lease is not being renewed, I have the right to inspect the unit 60 days prior to lease end and show the unit as well...I do give the current tenant the common courtesy of 24 hour notice, however, it is not always possible.

I do reserve the right to show the unit during the weekends between the hours of 11 - 5 pm. No problems yet...

Common courtesy goes far, if not, have your attorney contact the landlord.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene54 View Post
All my leases state clearly that if the lease is not being renewed, I have the right to inspect the unit 60 days prior to lease end and show the unit as well...I do give the current tenant the common courtesy of 24 hour notice, however, it is not always possible.

I do reserve the right to show the unit during the weekends between the hours of 11 - 5 pm. No problems yet...

Common courtesy goes far, if not, have your attorney contact the landlord.
That's fine as long as the clauses in your lease which address this are in compliance with your state landlord tenant laws ... state laws prevail over your contract.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:03 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,254,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
A friend who is nearing the end of her lease suspects that her landlord is showing her apartment when she is out. I suggested she buy a security camera and record this event, but with her moving costs she doesn't want to spend the money unless it would do some good. What are the rights and recourse of a tenant be when a landlord violates the lease by showing a property without the tenants permission?
Thanks, Don
Not sure about the legalilty of showing apartments etc., but I would say that it is common courtesy for a landlord to let a tenant who is moving know that he is bringing someone in to look at the soon to be vacant place. I have rented before and in one place in particular, the landlord was selling her house and the rental property and would call in the morning or the nite before to let us know she would be showing the place. It at least got us enough time to put stuff away, clean the place up etc. If your friend is going to be moving anyhow and is packing stuff away now, why bother to create a fiasco over this person bringing folks in? Just pack, move and be done with it, not worth the hassle. Have your friend put all the boxes to be moved in one room, closest to the door preferably and keep track over what he has. Not worth getting a camera or getting all riled up.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:15 AM

PammyD: Just a heads up that you're answering the OP from 2007.

State landlord tenant laws address showings by landlords and some are different than others but most states require that a LL give 24 hours notice of any showings; others add that showings must be within a certain time period; some simply state "reasonable notice". Many different variations so which state one is in determines procedure if there's any confusion or dispute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting