Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:22 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,491,287 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, if the lease doesn't say one way or the other on pets, then pets are "with approval only". For us, approval may depend on the breed, the age, and the personality of the dog, as well as what the tenants credit and rental history look like. A responsible tenant with good credit is much more likely to get approved for a pet.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:27 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,243,461 times
Im sure theres no clause in the rental agreement that forbids you to have an elephant. That doesnt mean you can have one.

If you were serious about wanting a dog, you would have rented an apartment specifically allowing pets. When I look for online vacation rentals, I specifically look for ones that allow pets.

Pets are a huge deal to landlords and owners of rentals. They can cause the worst problems and damage. Even tho I love my dogs, if I had a rental, I wouldnt allow pets.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:29 AM

34,098 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleo Barker View Post
I guess I expected a little more empathy from fellow forum members also.
I guess I'll get over that too.
This is more about the responsible pet ownership aspect.

Quote:
I have made a commitment to take on a rescue dog.
Curious: What did the rescue group folks have to say about landlords and permission?
Every adoption form I've seen is rather explicit on the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl
When you meet with her, stop talking for a bit and ask her what things she would be willing to do to amend the lease so that you can keep a dog..... Pet deposit (refundable, non-refundable?) pet rent? Weekly pooper service? Find out what she would be willing to do to overcome her objections.
^^ Good advice. (that squirl is a smart chick)

Old 09-10-2014, 11:05 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,274,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleo Barker View Post
I guess I expected a little more empathy from fellow forum members also. I guess I'll get over that too.
Why? You are clearly in the wrong and made assumptions that you shouldn't have made. I don't know how you made the leap from the landlord being hesitant about a dog to thinking that meant "yes." What?! To me, that meant either "no" or "maybe," but definitely was not a go-ahead to get a dog! I'm having trouble figuring out how your mind works that you would have jumped to that conclusion.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:57 AM

245 posts, read 292,029 times
get a dog.
when the LL complains, ask her to point out the no dogs policy in the lease.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:44 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,499,657 times
You can always focus on finding a different rental asap - this time make sure you get it in writing in lease that says you are allowed to have a dog. Make sure that lease allows the breed/size of dog you plan to get (some landlords that allow dogs have size limits or exclude specific breeds. )

Then break the lease at the current rental. But this will likely cost you some money.

Does your lease specify a lease-break fee? If not, check your state landlord tenant law to see if landlord must "mitigate damages" which means they must attempt to find a new renter when you break the lease. In this case, you would be responsible for rent payments until the new renter moves in(unless your lease has a lease-break fee, then you pay it and you are done).

Lastly you can attempt to negotiate a lease-break fee with landlord if there isn't one in your lease. You ask them if they would take a lump sum fee equal to 1 month rent or maybe 1.5 months rent as lump sum for you to move out early. If they agree make sure you get it in writing before you move out and also get it in writing that you owe no future rent money once you pay the lease-break fee as long as you already paid for all rent that was due while you lived there. Then find a place that allows puts and get it in the lease.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,191 times
Default Its a "companion" not a "pet"

You need to think outside the box. i did evictions in Oregon and you a companion is different than a pet. No pet fee or monthly pet fee or pet rent. All you need is a letter from your doctor. I have never heard of a doctor not prescribing this yet. What for? Depression, anxiety, seizures, and on and on. I am pretty sure this falls under the disability act and is nationwide. Just give a quick call to your doctor for an appointment for depression and then you talk about how the animal helps you because it makes you smile, etc. Im sure it does too. It will save you the couple hundred for pet deposit and whatever other "pet" fees or monthly rents they might want to collect on. Because remember that it is not a "pet" but a companion and will have to abide by all of the other parts of your rental agreement, as a co-tenant would. Hope it helps

Old 09-10-2014, 03:07 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,680,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikasue View Post
You need to think outside the box. i did evictions in Oregon and you a companion is different than a pet. No pet fee or monthly pet fee or pet rent. All you need is a letter from your doctor. I have never heard of a doctor not prescribing this yet. What for? Depression, anxiety, seizures, and on and on. I am pretty sure this falls under the disability act and is nationwide. Just give a quick call to your doctor for an appointment for depression and then you talk about how the animal helps you because it makes you smile, etc. Im sure it does too. It will save you the couple hundred for pet deposit and whatever other "pet" fees or monthly rents they might want to collect on. Because remember that it is not a "pet" but a companion and will have to abide by all of the other parts of your rental agreement, as a co-tenant would. Hope it helps
I'm sorry your landlord was not forthright about her no dog policy before you signed the lease. It's almost like she was leading you along and then pulled the rug out once you signed. Nevertheless, you still have options and one of them is to get a doctor to prescribe a companion dog for you.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:09 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
Yep, a companion she just rescued. This is not good advice. People that rally need this service ar eone thing, abusing it is another. And, be aware when you claim a disability, it will follow you. Nothing is sacred anymore with records and such. OP, you simply need to deal with the LL...and if you do not feel you can remain there, break your lease and suffer the consequences. Good luck to you.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:38 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,736,641 times
Quote:
The sort of "advice" I despise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting