Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 12:35 PM

87 posts, read 95,831 times

Advertisements

LL allowed me to take possession stating through emails, that we could sign lease later, and pay deposit later, etc..

So, I did.

She seems very kind, obviously, and now wants me to sign. Is there an implied lease agreement?

I reviewed the lease just a few days ago, and continue to find things that I am not in agreement with.

Bottom line; is this an implied lease agreement as the understanding from the beginning was that she would provide it later?

And.. am I under obligation to sign it?

I understand that at this point it is a matter of integrity, but something doesn't seem right..

I don't want to move. I like it.

Also, there was never a walk through done as I was simply told that *the keys are in the kitchen drawer*..you can go ahead an go in..

I have paid the first months rent, along with a very small portion of the deposit.

Now what?

Am I going to be in some kind of legal trouble if I refuse to sign at this point as is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 04:14 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,831,912 times
Why not just discuss your concerns with the landlord?

Old 09-12-2014, 04:37 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
Sounds like you need to have a discussion with the LL regarding the aspects of the lease that you are not happy with.

Lease agreements are fairly standard at this point though so I'm a bit curious to know what aspects you find disagreeable.

In any case, if you don't want the place, you probably can move out after this month. Getting money back after you have already paid it is always difficult but YMMV.

You won't be in any kind of legal trouble since there was nothing in writing. You didn't somehow agree to a lease by moving in.

Old 09-12-2014, 05:00 PM

But is there now an implied agreement, as I have paid one month rent, along w/ $200 towards deposit ~

Old 09-12-2014, 06:03 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Already being moved in gives you some leverage on negotiating lease details. If you like the place, however, you might want to try to stay on the LL's good side.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:13 PM

But is there an implied agreement, owing to my having already paid rent and $200 towards the deposit?

Old 09-12-2014, 06:16 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,435,200 times
The answer is: no.

RVD.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:24 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dental257 View Post
But is there an implied agreement, owing to my having already paid rent and $200 towards the deposit?

BOTH you and the LL took a risk when you moved in without a written lease. Depending on the city you moved to you *could* bend the LL over a barrel and require them to evict you! I certainly don't recommend that if you plan on trying to rent again soon, but you could.

The way I'd handle it is to talk to the LL about the provisions you don't agree with. In many cases a small landlord just uses a copy of another lease and doesn't realize how ridiculous some of the restrictions are. We negotiated a few minor changes with no disagreement.

However, if the LL is a slippery sucker, he might try to stick you with some kind of provisions you have NO hope of complying with, or perhaps even something illegal. If that's the situation you're in and the LL won't budge, you will need to find another place to live.

You didn't state where the lease is, but in general the city of Seattle is tenant friendly, and already has plenty of rules around unwritten leases. Generally they're governed like a month-to-month, where either party can end them without penalty.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:25 PM

Can you explain your stance? I mean, to say, that "no" makes me feel good, but any basis for your positive response?

Old 09-12-2014, 07:38 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,481,475 times
In Washington state, you either have a written lease, or you have a month-to-month lease. There are no other leases, so if you do not have a written lease then you have a month to month lease by default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting