Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 06:10 PM

156 posts, read 514,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee188 View Post
Still missing the point. Moving will not reduce the amount the OP owes.
But it will increase the amount I'm paying elsewhere. AKA paying double rent for 2 months. No thank you.

I actually made friends with someone at the new place I'm looking to go to, and they suggested to add a 'roomate' and then sign a roomate release agreement to rid myself of responsibility. Now, the manager here said there was no way I could do something like this. However, I'm told they don't exactly like something like this, but I might be allowed to do so. Does a LL have to accept this type of agreement if I did find a new tenant (roomate)? Or can they simply refuse to acknowledge/sign it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 05:28 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibsong002 View Post
does a ll have to accept this type of agreement if i did find a new tenant (roomate)?
No. Any agreement which in any way affects the responsibility of the tenant has to be approved in writing by the LL and is otherwise legally invalid.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
No. Any agreement which in any way affects the responsibility of the tenant has to be approved in writing by the LL and is otherwise legally invalid.
What I mean is.. if I brought it to them, do they have to go along with it? I know I can't just do it without them. But do they have to agree to it, or can they say, 'sorry, we won't sign that'

And if not, do you guys have any other suggestions? Is there any way for me to cover myself if I brought in a new tenant, so that it wouldn't be an overly risky situation for myself?

Old 09-17-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
What I mean is.. if I brought it to them, do they have to go along with it? I know I can't just do it without them. But do they have to agree to it, or can they say, 'sorry, we won't sign that'

And if not, do you guys have any other suggestions? Is there any way for me to cover myself if I brought in a new tenant, so that it wouldn't be an overly risky situation for myself?
No they don't have to go along with it. Yes they can say no. I'm not sure how to rephrase it to make it any simpler. As you noted earlier, you've learned an expensive lesson and hopefully won't repeat it.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
No they don't have to go along with it. Yes they can say no. I'm not sure how to rephrase it to make it any simpler. As you noted earlier, you've learned an expensive lesson and hopefully won't repeat it.
You must be a LL with your ****ty attitude. At first you said it has to be approved by the LL. That's an entirely different response from saying they do not have to approve it.

Really would have thought people would've been more compassionate here and actually try to offer some advice. Rather this thread was basically nothing more than most of you trying to determine if I was trying to screw over the landlord or not, with the rest saying to suck it up.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:23 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,380,268 times
Quote:
You must be a LL with your ****ty attitude. At first you said it has to be approved by the LL. That's an entirely different response from saying they do not have to approve it.
That's quite rude, and STT is just trying to answer your question. You're just not grasping what she's saying. What I believe STT to mean is that you are required to receive LLs approval, but LL is not required to give it.

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for a solution that won't cost you money.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:32 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:

Really would have thought people would've been more compassionate here and actually try to offer some advice. Rather this thread was basically nothing more than most of you trying to determine if I was trying to screw over the landlord or not, with the rest saying to suck it up.
Most landlords have also been a tenant at some point. We see both sides of it. Just because we are being honest and blunt doesn't mean we don't sympathize that you are having to pay it. There just isn't anything to suggest other than suck it up and take it as a life lesson. The one thing you can do is to ask the landlord to make an exception to the signed contract, which you did. They said no. Other than that, you are pretty much stuck. That is the entire point of the lease. It says "if x happens, y will be the result" and "if you want to do a, you must first do b".

You've acknowledged you screwed up, but still keep trying to find a way to have no financial responsibility for your mistake. That is why you are getting some irritated answers. Mistakes with contracts sometimes end up costing you money. That's just the way it is.

Your other option is to not pay, let the landlord sue you and get a judgment, have your wages garnished, and have that landlord judgment follow you for the rest of your life on your background check, which will usually result in you being denied from any rental you apply for. Obviously, that isn't a good option, either.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
Most landlords have also been a tenant at some point. We see both sides of it. Just because we are being honest and blunt doesn't mean we don't sympathize that you are having to pay it. There just isn't anything to suggest other than suck it up and take it as a life lesson. The one thing you can do is to ask the landlord to make an exception to the signed contract, which you did. They said no. Other than that, you are pretty much stuck. That is the entire point of the lease. It says "if x happens, y will be the result" and "if you want to do a, you must first do b".

You've acknowledged you screwed up, but still keep trying to find a way to have no financial responsibility for your mistake. That is why you are getting some irritated answers. Mistakes with contracts sometimes end up costing you money. That's just the way it is.

Your other option is to not pay, let the landlord sue you and get a judgment, have your wages garnished, and have that landlord judgment follow you for the rest of your life on your background check, which will usually result in you being denied from any rental you apply for. Obviously, that isn't a good option, either.
Just a bit frustrated, it seems many in here are divided between the 'politics' of LL/tenant I guess and are coming down on me rather than just offering a suggestion. I was just looking for help, not a way out. For example, if my LL would've went along with a roomate release, I would've gladly helped the new tenant pay rent. I'm obviously not looking to say, poor me, how do I beat the system... just looking for anything I can do to make this not so financially difficult, if at all possible.

Like I said previously I see all the time ads on craigslist for people looking for new tenants to take over their lease, but no one has really commented to offer advise on this. Maybe it's as simple as, those LL's allow that and mine doesn't. I just am not familiar with the actual laws and whether this is a real option for me or not. It appears it is not, as my LL doesn't want me doing that.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
... but no one has really commented to offer advise on this. Maybe it's as simple as, those LL's allow that and mine doesn't. I just am not familiar with the actual laws and whether this is a real option for me or not. It appears it is not, as my LL doesn't want me doing that.
I'm sorry you decided to be so rude in your response to me but, as I said, I have no clue how to phrase the issue any more plainly. Responders have tried to explain it to you but you keep asking the same question over and over as though some new answer more to your satisfaction will miraculously appear. If your LL doesn't agree to amending the terms of your lease he's entirely within his legal right to do so and there is no side passage which will enable you to circumnavigate that simplicity.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:14 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
Just a bit frustrated, it seems many in here are divided between the 'politics' of LL/tenant I guess and are coming down on me rather than just offering a suggestion. I was just looking for help, not a way out. For example, if my LL would've went along with a roomate release, I would've gladly helped the new tenant pay rent. I'm obviously not looking to say, poor me, how do I beat the system... just looking for anything I can do to make this not so financially difficult, if at all possible.

Like I said previously I see all the time ads on craigslist for people looking for new tenants to take over their lease, but no one has really commented to offer advise on this. Maybe it's as simple as, those LL's allow that and mine doesn't. I just am not familiar with the actual laws and whether this is a real option for me or not. It appears it is not, as my LL doesn't want me doing that.
Its called subleasing. You find someone to take over the rest of your lease, but you are still ultimately responsible if they don't pay rent or if they trash the place. You become their landlord and they are your tenant, while you are still the tenant of the landlord. Most leases have a clause in them that says "no subleasing without landlord permission", and the landlord is not obligated to give that permission. Usually people only do this if they have 2 months or more left on their lease, not 2 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting