Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:04 AM

575 posts, read 1,460,110 times

Advertisements

Keep us updated, OP! I hope you get this situated - your LL had to have known this was an issue. If they are in fact, bed bugs, he was aware of it before you moved in. I'd be livid if a LL did not disclose they had bed bugs right before I moved in because that would definitely be a deal breaker for us!

And yeah, woah, that's a lot of money. How do people live in areas with such high costs? From what I understand, wages aren't that much higher in these areas compared to places that are lower cost. The median income in Columbus, OH is around 45,000 a year and the median rental rate is about $850 a month (granted that's an apartment price if you don't wanna live in a shady area but our shady areas are nothing like NYC or Atlanta or something).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 04:19 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,864,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
Keep us updated, OP! I hope you get this situated - your LL had to have known this was an issue. If they are in fact, bed bugs, he was aware of it before you moved in. I'd be livid if a LL did not disclose they had bed bugs right before I moved in because that would definitely be a deal breaker for us!

And yeah, woah, that's a lot of money. How do people live in areas with such high costs? From what I understand, wages aren't that much higher in these areas compared to places that are lower cost. The median income in Columbus, OH is around 45,000 a year and the median rental rate is about $850 a month (granted that's an apartment price if you don't wanna live in a shady area but our shady areas are nothing like NYC or Atlanta or something).

Off topic a bit, but you do realize that there are many, many people outside of Ohio who make a lot more than 45K yr, right? And it doesn't matter how much you pay in rent, you can have bedbugs.

On to the bedbugs.....the only way to confirm they are or aren't bedbugs is to have a pest control company out and take a look. Talk to your landlord and keep us updated.

Old 09-19-2014, 05:44 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,429,325 times
OP, since you first posted here you haven't once mentioned whether or not you've (a) contacted the landlord about either the dead insects or all the other issues you're coming up with or (b) contacted an exterminator or some other expert to positively identify the bugs. I'm getting a little perplexed over why you would even stay there if everything is so disgusting and you're convinced that bedbugs abound.

Old 09-19-2014, 09:24 AM

396 posts, read 428,434 times
I am staying here (have not actually slept here yet) as we dont want to bring in new mattresses because the LL has 12k of my money (not to mention I paid a realtor fee) and my children just started school in the district. I am looking/waiting for something else to appear on the market and I need my money back. I did speak w the LL- who has dismissed everything. If I dont find something else in next few days- I will have to start repairs/ exterminator on my own. There is extensive work that needs to be done to get this place to even pass a health inspection. Does anyone have an opinion on second photo I posted- water stains/cracked paint in bedroom (that exists all ove rthe house)? LL stated that I will have to deal w it- but I believe there is mold under the water stains. I know...I just need to get out of here- but there is a lot of money at stake (not to mention the astronomical amount I had to pay for the movers)Its all a mess...Thanks for the advice. Time ot get out of NYC area. I know w certainlty LL will not give me back my money without a fight. I am just trying to figure out my next step- getting the exterminator, repairs done with my own money- after dishing out this kind of rent seems unfair- or just leaving, paying for movers again (doling out another three months rent somewhere else) and switching kids school. This really really sucks

Old 09-19-2014, 09:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,429,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
I am just trying to figure out my next step- getting the exterminator, repairs done with my own money- after dishing out this kind of rent seems unfair- or just leaving, paying for movers again (doling out another three months rent somewhere else) and switching kids school. This really really sucks
Why on earth have you not yet consulted an attorney? If you've followed the directives of your local landlord tenant laws about dealing with maintenance/health issues (which I have a feeling you haven't done) then a legal consultation is the obvious next step.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:23 AM

575 posts, read 1,460,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Off topic a bit, but you do realize that there are many, many people outside of Ohio who make a lot more than 45K yr, right? And it doesn't matter how much you pay in rent, you can have bedbugs.

On to the bedbugs.....the only way to confirm they are or aren't bedbugs is to have a pest control company out and take a look. Talk to your landlord and keep us updated.
I'm not sure if you're implying I'm stupid or what...

My entire point was that people in high cost areas don't make that much more compared to people in Ohio. A quick Google search says the median income for NYS is 54k. That's less than 10k more than the median income in Ohio but their rental rates are a lot higher and I'd bet other costs are as well. Yes, people make more than 45k. People also make less than 45k. It's called a median income because it's the average amount people make.

And not once did I say that rental rates have any kind of relation to pests. I was merely making an observation. Do you seriously just love to go on here and start petty crap with people because you literally nit pick their posts? The past few days every post I've read from you has either been rude or you down-talking someone and I'm not even the first person to point it out.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:34 AM

9,881 posts, read 9,483,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jego914 View Post
I am staying here (have not actually slept here yet) as we dont want to bring in new mattresses because the LL has 12k of my money (not to mention I paid a realtor fee) and my children just started school in the district. I am looking/waiting for something else to appear on the market and I need my money back. I did speak w the LL- who has dismissed everything. If I dont find something else in next few days- I will have to start repairs/ exterminator on my own. There is extensive work that needs to be done to get this place to even pass a health inspection. Does anyone have an opinion on second photo I posted- water stains/cracked paint in bedroom (that exists all ove rthe house)? LL stated that I will have to deal w it- but I believe there is mold under the water stains. I know...I just need to get out of here- but there is a lot of money at stake (not to mention the astronomical amount I had to pay for the movers)Its all a mess...Thanks for the advice. Time ot get out of NYC area. I know w certainlty LL will not give me back my money without a fight. I am just trying to figure out my next step- getting the exterminator, repairs done with my own money- after dishing out this kind of rent seems unfair- or just leaving, paying for movers again (doling out another three months rent somewhere else) and switching kids school. This really really sucks
I am so sorry your going thru this and spending all that money.

It depends if you want to spend that much money on a place you wont be staying at.

Do you want to do damage control or upkeep the place?

For you, get some mattress encasements (protectors which are like a mattress protector with a latexy feel to it which keeps bugs out (about $98 each).

You can wash in hot water and dry for 20 minutes all your stuff and put in sealed bags and put elsewhere, so at least you will protect your stuff.

That sucks that the landlord says just deal with it. He should be fixing some of that. He probably gets away with it, and so he continues. there are slumlords.

Mold is bad because your inhaling it.

You might want to get out and count the loss, maybe there is something you can deduct on income taxes for your loss. or if you have renters insurance?? if not, try to get it for next time.

Kids can adjust to changing schools if needed.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:38 AM

I just looked at the 2nd photo with the water stains, since your landlord said take care of it, (you might have to ask his permission). but they sell this spray rubber sealant in white or black, you can get it at a Home Depot or other hardware store. it looks like it will seal stuff like what you show in that pic. they have TV commercials about it, but ask for a can of spray rubber sealant for the time you are in your current apartment. It might work. the tv commercials showing the guy spraying it on the bottom of a boat and going sailing and spraying it on roofs.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:37 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,864,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
I'm not sure if you're implying I'm stupid or what...

My entire point was that people in high cost areas don't make that much more compared to people in Ohio. A quick Google search says the median income for NYS is 54k. That's less than 10k more than the median income in Ohio but their rental rates are a lot higher and I'd bet other costs are as well. Yes, people make more than 45k. People also make less than 45k. It's called a median income because it's the average amount people make.

And not once did I say that rental rates have any kind of relation to pests. I was merely making an observation. Do you seriously just love to go on here and start petty crap with people because you literally nit pick their posts? The past few days every post I've read from you has either been rude or you down-talking someone and I'm not even the first person to point it out.

I haven't posted that much but if you feel stupid because someone pointed something out to you, that's your problem not mine. And as for being petty, what business is it of yours how someone can afford their rent? And what does the median income of Ohio have to do with the issue the OP has? It doesn't...you can live in a slum and have bedbugs, you can live in a Penthouse and have bedbugs, you can live in the middle of Ohio and have bedbugs.

Old 09-19-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I haven't posted that much but if you feel stupid because someone pointed something out to you, that's your problem not mine. And as for being petty, what business is it of yours how someone can afford their rent? And what does the median income of Ohio have to do with the issue the OP has? It doesn't...you can live in a slum and have bedbugs, you can live in a Penthouse and have bedbugs, you can live in the middle of Ohio and have bedbugs.
thats true, they are everywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting