Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 11:22 AM

4 posts, read 5,947 times

Advertisements

I need to now do a smoke test in my apartment because they moved me in after someone in here had been smoking for 27 years. During my chemo my pulmonary system took a major hit. So I'm not supposed to be inhaling things like this. They ran a environmental test before I moved in and said the air-quality was clear. When I called the company to break down the information in the report, they informed me they do not test for smoke or carcinogens of any kind. Therefore these people moved me in making me believe it had been tested for smoke and was clear. Now I know it was not tested for smoke and it is not clear.
Because they had reglazed the bathroom, resurface the countertops, scrubbed the walls and pulled out and replace the flooring, you couldn't tell one small from the other. Now that the AC is being run you can clearly tell the air ducts/hvac lines were not addressed.
I need to find someone here near Escondido or San Diego California who can independently run a smoke test to check for air-quality.
Does anybody know of a resource like that in this area?
I've called at least 15 county agencies so far and I'm coming up with nothing.

This is the seniors community, and it's been established that this manager could care less. They don't even answer the phones or return emails. I just need this apartment tested in mediately. I can't find anybody who can do it, does anyone out there know of an agency, independently, that they can we sourced me out to here?
I would do it myself, and I found a kit to do so, but Fair Housing is saying that they likely won't except the test because I'm not a professional at it and they could say I compromise the test in someway. So I need an outside agency resource here guys. Can you help me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 11:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
You might get better responses posting in the region-specific CA forum.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:31 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Try reposting in the San Diego forum. Try calling the city of escondido housing department and ask if they have any ideas.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:37 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
home air check | Indoor air quality test for mold and testing for healthy air IAQ is a site where you can purchase a testing kit.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debrasong View Post
Therefore these people moved me in making me believe it had been tested for smoke and was clear. Now I know it was not tested for smoke and it is not clear. ...

I found a kit to do so, but Fair Housing is saying that they likely won't except the test because I'm not a professional at it and they could say I compromise the test in someway. So I need an outside agency resource here guys. Can you help me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
See second para above.

OP, simply curious but reference the first quote and as much as I sympathize with your situation, what do you expect to gain from such a test? If the environmental test showed that the air was clear I'm unclear what the problem is. In the general air we breathe there's an abundance of smoke and related carcinogens and if your pulmonary system is so compromised that it can't tolerate that, I'm not sure what you're looking for. If it's to break your lease without penalty I doubt you have a case and particularly since you noted that the many county agencies you've contacted have apparently not been helpful.

But again, your question would likely be better answered in the appropriate state forum. Good luck.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:56 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
See second para above.
yes, thanks! i did miss that point of the OP.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:06 PM

4 posts, read 5,947 times
I am in discussions with Fair Housing and they are the ones asking for me to get an estimate for a air-quality test for smoke specifically. I have attempted to do the test myself and to purchase one, but they could claim I compromise the test so a third-party would be better suited to do this so that the management company would be more likely to except those results as opposed to my doing it myself.

I am so sorry, but after chemo I have chemo brain and I don't know how to get to the San Diego forum... can anybody help me with that?

And please let me thank everyone of you who have responded here. It means everything. I'm very grateful.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
... I don't know how to get to the San Diego forum... can anybody help me with that?
Went to it to link it directly but see you found it!

Old 09-19-2014, 12:32 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
I am in discussions with Fair Housing and they are the ones asking for me to get an estimate for a air-quality test for smoke specifically. I have attempted to do the test myself and to purchase one, but they could claim I compromise the test so a third-party would be better suited to do this so that the management company would be more likely to except those results as opposed to my doing it myself.

I am so sorry, but after chemo I have chemo brain and I don't know how to get to the San Diego forum... can anybody help me with that?

And please let me thank everyone of you who have responded here. It means everything. I'm very grateful.
Ugh. Chemo brain here, too (still going through treatment), as I meant to link you earlier and completely spaced on it just like everything else right now. Glad you found it. Good luck with everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting