Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 10:45 AM

64 posts, read 193,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurabug View Post
He's been with you for 4 YEARS. I highly doubt that after 4 years, he has just randomly decided - hey! I don't want to pay rent or utilities because living in the dark with no water is awesome

You're being vindictive. End of story.
Why not? it happens ALL THE TIME. Break ups with their partner, drugs and alcohol, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I had one that completely trashed a house. Some was simply age some was them neglecting to call on issues and I trusted them. In the end I have them 60 days and their deposit back. $500 bucks. It's far cheaper to do that than to go lawyer route. I considered it $500 well spent. Had to remodel the whole place anyway. They were in the place forever so I can't complain too much. Good bad or indifferent try and stay out of court if you can.

On a different note you really need to calm down. Being a LL is a people business. I'm not saying you can't go after him but you'll spend a bunch of money and even if you get a judgement doesn't mean you'll ever collect. I helped a buddy manage a apartment and he went after this lady who owed him $1500. Won a judgement in court. To this day he never got paid.

You're more than free to go after him. Ultimately you are right he does owe you money. He may cave in and pay up as soon as he sees the court papers too.
yeah i know i will never collect on a judgement, i just want him out of my unit. The longer he stays the more rent im losing. You can be the best tent for 10 years and when you tell me what to do and do not follow the lease agreement, well then i have no choice but to use legal action. I do admit what text was wrong, but sometimes people slip up. When someone owes you a substantial amount of money and tells you they are not going to pay time after time, it becomes a burden and sometimes your emotions come out.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:02 AM

575 posts, read 1,468,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watnow78 View Post
Why not? it happens ALL THE TIME. Break ups with their partner, drugs and alcohol, etc.
Maybe in your world. Most people don't just pick up an alcohol or drug problem overnight. And breaking up with your partner has nothing to do with willingly not paying your bills. The guy has already said he has a brother with some serious health issues. There are a lot of people who experience medical issues unexpectedly and then find themselves in some serious debt.

I just don't understand why you would attempt to evict someone who has already told you they will leave? What's the point? Do you not understand what exactly an eviction is for? It's not for getting money you're owed. It's for telling someone to either pay or leave and if they refuse, an eviction is to have them forcibly removed. The guy has already said he will leave. So you'd rather waste hundreds in court and attorney fees than just take the guy (who in the past 4 years has never been a bad guy) for his word? Even if you sued him in small claims court to get the money there is NO guarantee you will get any of that money. You're going to end up costing yourself more money in the long run this way.

It literally makes ZERO sense business wise to do what you are doing and even the LLs who post here have said as much.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Maybe in your world. Most people don't just pick up an alcohol or drug problem overnight. And breaking up with your partner has nothing to do with willingly not paying your bills. The guy has already said he has a brother with some serious health issues. There are a lot of people who experience medical issues unexpectedly and then find themselves in some serious debt.

I just don't understand why you would attempt to evict someone who has already told you they will leave? What's the point? Do you not understand what exactly an eviction is for? It's not for getting money you're owed. It's for telling someone to either pay or leave and if they refuse, an eviction is to have them forcibly removed. The guy has already said he will leave. So you'd rather waste hundreds in court and attorney fees than just take the guy (who in the past 4 years has never been a bad guy) for his word? Even if you sued him in small claims court to get the money there is NO guarantee you will get any of that money. You're going to end up costing yourself more money in the long run this way.

It literally makes ZERO sense business wise to do what you are doing and even the LLs who post here have said as much.
First of all you dont know this tenant like i do. He is LYING about his brothers health issues. How do i know? Ive spoken with his mother in regards to this. And she CONFIRMED there is no health issues. Secondly, i live in a world of reality and ive evicted tenants before who where clean of alcohol and drugs, and over time they DO pick up a habit that hinder the ability to pay bills.

You can NEVER take someones word for it. What world do you live in?

im not worried about spending the money in court or collecting on a judgment, this tenant will stay there as long as he can without paying rent, if i allowed him to.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:19 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,755,674 times
Quote:
First of all you dont know this tenant like i do. He is LYING about his brothers health issues. How do i know? Ive spoken with his mother in regards to this. And she CONFIRMED there is no health issues. Secondly, i live in a world of reality and ive evicted tenants before who where clean of alcohol and drugs, and over time they DO pick up a habit that hinder the ability to pay bills.

im not worried about spending the money in court or collecting on a judgment, this tenant will stay there as long as he can without paying rent, if i allowed him to.
why are you talking to a tenant's mother??

Old 09-19-2014, 11:22 AM

575 posts, read 1,468,151 times
Quote:

Whatever you say, champ. Clearly everyone in the world is a liar, thief, and out to ********* over. Personally, I think you're just a power-hungry jerk of a LL.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
I do have an attorney that i will be using and i have never lost an eviction in over 10 years or so.
For someone with such a string of success it seems from this thread (which I linked earlier) that even on such a simple matter as return of a security deposit you didn't know the law - and that was just a few months ago.

//www.city-data.com/forum/los-a...ue-tenant.html

Your "facts" and protestations are just all over the place.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
why are you talking to a tenant's mother??
On his application he put down 3 references. For emergency purposes. When this tenant refused to answer my phone calls then i take it a step further. He never responses to my email or phone calls, just text messages.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Whatever you say, champ. Clearly everyone in the world is a liar, thief, and out to ********* over. Personally, I think you're just a power-hungry jerk of a LL.
No just tenants who lie and do not pay their bills.

Old 09-20-2014, 03:07 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
On his application he put down 3 references. For emergency purposes. When this tenant refused to answer my phone calls then i take it a step further. He never responses to my email or phone calls, just text messages.

so big deal he doesn't answer his phone!! I doubt I'd want to talk with you either..you have a very short fuse. He is communicating with you, via text. No need to call the 'emergency contacts'...I'd be ticked if my kids landlord called me for something like this. What do you want her to? Spank him? Put him in timeout? Pay his bills?

I think STT is right.....you're pretty much clueless about the landlord business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting