Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 07:31 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by watnow78 View Post
i did speak to my attorney today and he said if the tenant left keys to the unit that Actually work, then i have full possession of the unit. He has stopped the Unlawful Detainer but he advised me to follow through with a Money Judgment for the amount of rent he owes. All of his stuff will go into my storage for 30days, and will be tossed out after the 30 days, unless he contacts me for it.

Im not to concerned anymore. My unit is back in market and getting it ready for new tenants.
Good for you. Move forward.

Did you find any Craigslist ads for the fridge, washer/dryer? My bet is he also had an ad for the range but he couldn't sell that in the 3 days. But the fridge and washer/dryer sold in the 3 days and that's why they are gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 04:50 AM

7 posts, read 7,439 times
I'm sorry, but none of this makes sense to me. The OP stated that s/he knew he still had a job, yet called his employer after he left and found out he actually didn't?

Quote:
This tenant still have his full time job and i know he can pay, he just for some reason doesnt want to. I legally can not use his security deposit for rent, per our lease agreement.

Also:

Quote:
His electricity and water is about to be turned off due to non payment.
How are you able to access his personal and confidential information? You typically need a SS# or acct# to access balance due, etc.?

I know someone else brought it up, but you called his mother and inquired about her family's personal issues, i.e., her son's health? Is that even legal? I figured emergency contacts were used in the event that the tenant could not be reached, there was an actual emergency, etc. I did not know the emergency contact was used in order to try and figure out if a tenant is lying about a sick family member?

Lastly, drug para. is not cheap. If the guy stole a fridge and w/d, he would have taken his bongs and pipes. Bongs, in particular, are not cheap. Then you claim later on that he stated his brother died/was dying, which is not what you stated at the earlier post (just that his brother was sick).

Found pics of drug para., but only posted photographs of a few bags of trash and some furniture? So, the guy leaves the relatively nice furniture, which would be much easier to load, but steals a fridge? Seems odd, to me. I also agree with the other poster that stated the TV, rug, and furniture would have provided a bit of $ on CL, too.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:11 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathedinlight View Post
... I also agree with the other poster that stated the TV, rug, and furniture would have provided a bit of $ on CL, too.
I think the tenant probably advertised everything on Craigslist but only had 3 days. So whatever sold in 3 days got sold, else it was left behind.

That's not a flat screen TV in the photo. Nobody wants the old style TVs. I tried to give one to Goodwill and several other charities. They all turned them down because they only take flat screens these days.

I was also expecting photos of the bong/crack pipe that was mentioned. Surely there are photos of them (?). OP - post them. We want to see!

Old 10-23-2014, 10:52 AM

575 posts, read 1,469,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bathedinlight View Post
I'm sorry, but none of this makes sense to me. The OP stated that s/he knew he still had a job, yet called his employer after he left and found out he actually didn't?

Also:

How are you able to access his personal and confidential information? You typically need a SS# or acct# to access balance due, etc.?

I know someone else brought it up, but you called his mother and inquired about her family's personal issues, i.e., her son's health? Is that even legal? I figured emergency contacts were used in the event that the tenant could not be reached, there was an actual emergency, etc. I did not know the emergency contact was used in order to try and figure out if a tenant is lying about a sick family member?

Lastly, drug para. is not cheap. If the guy stole a fridge and w/d, he would have taken his bongs and pipes. Bongs, in particular, are not cheap. Then you claim later on that he stated his brother died/was dying, which is not what you stated at the earlier post (just that his brother was sick).

Found pics of drug para., but only posted photographs of a few bags of trash and some furniture? So, the guy leaves the relatively nice furniture, which would be much easier to load, but steals a fridge? Seems odd, to me. I also agree with the other poster that stated the TV, rug, and furniture would have provided a bit of $ on CL, too.
Yeah, I'm not believing this one bit for the exact same reasons you pointed out.

OP, you do know that marijuana can be smoked out of a pipe as well and the end will blacken due to the resin? Maybe it was a crack pipe - idk. But I can tell you that I had friends who became addicts to crack and meth and they wouldn't even touch pot by that point because it did nothing for them because it wasn't strong enough. And bongs and pipes are expensive. A glass bong will run you about $50 for even the cheapest ones. Pipes are all around $20/each if they're glass and that's the basic ones.

And speaking of marijuana... aren't you located in California??? Your tenant could have been using the marijuana legally. I wouldn't consider someone who smokes pot a druggie who will do anything for a fix. If you do, you obviously don't know very many people who smoke pot.

I just don't believe that a tenant would leave all their furniture and belongings but steal your fridge and stove. I especially don't believe they'd turn over possession but leave illegal stuff laying out for you to find. The furniture and stuff is probably worth just as much as the fridge and stove. So why would they sell your property but leave all their other valuables laying around? It looks like they were still packing and cleaning up based on those pictures.

Maybe you aren't lying, OP. Maybe you are. Hard to believe anything you say when you just go off and blow your gasket the way you do then backpedal / have something you forgot to mention when someone calls you out. Either way I still think you're really unprofessional and vindictive. Being a LL is a business and you get way too emotionally invested in it.

ETA - Also as far as the tenant not being able to get stuff sold quickly enough on CL... Real drug addicts will sell stuff for next to nothing because to them, getting $5 for a couch is better than getting no money and not being able to buy that (crack) rock. Trust me. Had a friend who got into some bad stuff and tried to sell his car for $200 so he could get a fix.

I'm not defending the tenant either as far as not paying his rent. You can't do that and expect to have a place to live. But I think OP has gone above and beyond what is necessary just to prove a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting