Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 07:10 AM

150 posts, read 154,176 times

Advertisements

Investigator calling for tenant
An investigator called and left a message to landlord to talk about serving a document to tenant. Does the landlord have to call back the investigator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 07:29 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,265,760 times
No, you do not have to call him back. If he does manage to talk to you, you do not have to answer any questions. All of that is up to a court of law.

This guy is not an investigator, he is a process server, in other words, he gets paid if he just delivers a piece of paper to the person he seeks. Don't call him back, if he calls you, just tell him you have no information, no forwarding address, nothing. He may even ask for contact information from the rental application. Do not give it to him.

If you are the tenant he seeks, don't worry, no landlord in his right mind will give the process server any information.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:34 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,684,678 times
Nope, stay out of it, you have no skin in the game. If the tenant was wanted by the police it would be different but this is a civil matter.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:53 AM

150 posts, read 154,176 times
She is current tenant. Investigator calls the LL's work phone constantly, how would LL confirm this is a legitimate investigator. He left a 800 number.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:57 AM

575 posts, read 1,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.H. View Post
She is current tenant. Investigator calls the LL's work phone constantly, how would LL confirm this is a legitimate investigator. He left a 800 number.
Kinda sounds like a debt collector to me. Those people are sneaky. I've had debt collectors message me on Facebook of all places trying to get me to give up info on people they're looking for that they know I know.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:32 AM

639 posts, read 1,963,775 times
Quote:
They aren't legitimate because they are harassing you repeatedly. Debt collectors aren't supposed to contact a 3rd party more than once. Look up the relevant law and quote it at them the next time they call. Threaten to report them for harassment, etc. It usually gets them to stop.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:42 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
What are they asking for?

I had someone come to my office once doing a background check on a prior tenant for security clearance, but he had his official ID with him, and had all the information he wanted already, he just wanted confirmation. So the conversation went along the lines of "I show a forwarding address of 123 Main St, Everytown, ID, is that what he reported to you?" and "I show an emergency contact of "John Smith at 123-456-7890, is that who he listed for his emergency contact with you?", and "I show he paid $1000 in rent and lived here for 14 months, is that correct?", etc. Everything was exactly right, and all I had to say is "yes, that is what I show, as well". I have no problem doing that.

Other than that, I don't give my tenant's information out to anyone. I respond to these calls by saying: "If you would like me to pass your contact information on to the tenant, I would be happy to do that. Other than that, there is nothing I can do to help you. Do not contact me again."

Old 09-18-2014, 02:47 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Sounds like harassment to me. If you are the LL...I would be trying to confirm anything, I'd be trying to gt them to quit calling my number.
You can call your telephone provider, sometimes they have free options, and sometimes they have paid options.
How to block nuisance calls - Verizon Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting