Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 05:37 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by berniekosar19 View Post
Well, keep in mind that even though NYC is geographically on par with Chicago size-wise, what most people consider NYC is just the island of Manhattan. It's simple supply and demand; imagine if everyone who wanted to live in Chicago only wanted to live in Lincoln Park. Rents would be through the roof because after awhile, you just don't have enough land to build anything on. As far as salaries... you definitely get paid far more in NYC than Chicago; I don't think that's really debatable. To be fair, that's primarily because COL is far less in the Midwest than in the NE. I also think people in Chicago go out to eat just as much as peeps in NYC; Chicago is just as much of a foodie culture as NYC.
Hmm thats true. I'm going to have to look at the realtor websites to get more info. I think some parts are cool. i guess i would not have to live in Manhattan. Maybe over the bridge to Jersey! but everyone makes fun of Jersey maybe thats just on teevee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 09:00 PM

988 posts, read 1,740,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Hmm thats true. I'm going to have to look at the realtor websites to get more info. I think some parts are cool. i guess i would not have to live in Manhattan. Maybe over the bridge to Jersey! but everyone makes fun of Jersey maybe thats just on teevee
My wife is from Jersey and i still make fun of her for it; it's a time-honored tradition for us native NYers to do so

NYC is actually 5 boroughs (although Staten Island is it's own entity and doesn't really count) and Brooklyn/Queens, just by themselves, are probably about as large as the city of Chicago. Those boroughs, in particular, are probably the most similar to Chicago, in both architecture and makeup of the neighborhoods.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:15 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
Yeah, and it gets old.

Jersey Shore didn't help - even though half of those morons were from NY & one from Rhode Island.

Are you looking to move?

Old 09-23-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
Yeah, and it gets old.

Jersey Shore didn't help - even though half of those morons were from NY & one from Rhode Island.

Are you looking to move?
No, I'm staying here in Chicago, but I like to as a hobby check out various places, and NY happens to be something I am fascinated with as to architecture, housing, neighborhoods, etc.

Please know this - I do not consider the Jersey Shore characters to represent the normal citizens of Jersey.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:55 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,258,599 times
Quote:
No, I'm staying here in Chicago, but I like to as a hobby check out various places, and NY happens to be something I am fascinated with as to architecture, housing, neighborhoods, etc.

Please know this - I do not consider the Jersey Shore characters to represent the normal citizens of Jersey.
Manhattan is fascinating when it comes to architecture and history.

LOL! I don't think NY or RI wants to be associated with the fools from their states who appeared on that show either.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:57 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
Unfortunately, a lot of NYC apartments are dumps and there are people more than willing to pay top dollar for them anyway. As someone born and raised here, I find it laughable....

Knew an attorney who came from some small town who paid over $3000 a month to live in some crappy studio on the upper east side just so he could say he lived in Manhattan. He now moved to Colorado and is loving it.

Old 09-25-2014, 11:25 AM

yep I believe that!!!! I know someone in real life that brags about his life, but I know the real story, if people knew the real story, and how he lived they would not think well of him.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:47 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,082 times
NYC has specific problems because of rent control / stabilization. Basically instead of a landlord having an incentive to keep his/her apartment(s) and building(s) nice to get higher rents and reduce turnover, the incentive instead is to make things as bad as legally possible to encourage turnover and spend as little as they can unless they can get a legal rent increase out of it.

At the same time as the above is going on market rates are absurdly high, so market rate units tend to be very well kept (frequently and well-updated kitchens and bathrooms, hardwood floors, etc.) while RS/RC units and the public spaces in buildings with a lot of RS/RC apartments are practically - and sometimes literally - falling apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting