Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 980 times

Advertisements

I am currently renting a room from a friend of mine. I pay rent monthly for use of one bedroom and we share a living room, bathroom and kitchen. I understand that my friend, who owns the house, is allowed to enter my room without my consent because the property is in his name. The problem however comes from his live-in girlfriend. Her name is not on the house in any way and she does not pay rent to live here. They are under the assumption that she has the right to enter my room as she pleases because she is the landlord's girlfriend. I am having problems finding any kind of legal advice to support my privacy concerns and could really use some help in this matter. Am I wrong in assuming that her entering my room that I'm currently renting, without my consent, is a form of breaking and entering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 08:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
You're mistaken - not even your LL/friend should be arbitrarily entering your room as this is your private domain for which you pay rent. You need to sort this out with your LL and get the boundaries squared away.

You may find this helpful - scroll down to Missouri:

http://www.landlord.com/landlord_rig...y_by_state.htm

Last edited by STT Resident; 09-21-2014 at 08:45 AM..

Old 09-21-2014, 08:48 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Ask your LL if he objects to you having a key-locking doorknob and locking the door at your discretion. If he inquires as to the reason simply say you value your privacy and think his GF enters the room w/o permission and it makes you uncomfortable. If he denies that GF enters, make sure he knows it doesn't matter if he says she doesn't, you need to know she can't enter. Tell him that you really need to be able to pick your nose privately and leave your money & credit cards unsecured on your dresser if you want to. An exterior locking door is the answer for you, and any time he needs access to your private room, you will allow it of course.

If he is unwilling, you need to find another solution to ensure your happiness......likely another place to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting