Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 02:24 PM

10 posts, read 27,178 times

Advertisements

I live in North Carolina and recently after a tedious process evicted my non payment renters, they trashed the placed and I'm looking a way to make sure the eviction shows in their record, they were destructive and did damage to my property in retaliation of eviction. I was awarded possesion but I'm seeking money damages, my question is how to locate them? Obviously they didn't leave me a new address but I just want to make sure they are held responsible and hopefully having a record will help somebody else to stay away of this filthy low people. Is there any agency that assist in such matters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 03:19 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Why do you need to locate them? If a future landlord does a background check the eviction will show up. As far as collecting damages, if you were awarded damages in your claim against them then the court will advise you of the steps to take to collect if they don't abide by the order.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Why do you need to locate them? If a future landlord does a background check the eviction will show up. As far as collecting damages, if you were awarded damages in your claim against them then the court will advise you of the steps to take to collect if they don't abide by the order.

This^^^^

If you have a eviction and a judgement for damages you can simply follow your state laws and attempt to collect. There are people who can guide you through the process.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:27 PM

10 posts, read 27,178 times
I was advise not to claim money damages until they actually left the property, however to file a complaint I need their adress to file the complaint at court. As far as people in court advising I found they are not helpful, and mostly the guides and help are for tenants not for homeowners.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:18 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Courts are not able and willing to give advise that is something you contact a lawyer for.

In our county you add damages if you file correctly and it will added later when you know the amount.

Usually when tenants get a judgment they will not pay a dime back unless years later they have problems with a job or housing and trying to better their life and they run into the judgment on their record time after time. That is why one of my past tenants paid me back in full although we negotiated it a little bit but we still got more than the amount of the judgment but not all the interest but court cost and full judgment incl some interest was repaid!

Old 09-21-2014, 05:24 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adan37 View Post
I was advise not to claim money damages until they actually left the property, however to file a complaint I need their adress to file the complaint at court. As far as people in court advising I found they are not helpful, and mostly the guides and help are for tenants not for homeowners.
Since you didn't claim damages when you filed for eviction, seek legal counsel.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:35 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
I would think that you need to find a skip tracer/PI type of person to find these people. They can provide you addresses and you can then file for damages.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:25 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Bad Tenants List, Bad Tenant, Tenants Registry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting