Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 03:29 PM

56 posts, read 103,832 times

Advertisements

I currently live with my mother and am trying to move to my own apartment. The apartment complex has been trying to get my landlord to fax a rental verification letter so that they can complete my application and have me come in and sign the lease. My landlord, as usual, is taking his time. The complex said that they can only hold the unit for a few more days.

I feel as though my landlord may prevent me from moving. I understand that for some people it's not a big deal. But for me it is. I can't afford to move to most of the places in my city, let alone the state. If I lose this chance to move I'll have to continue living with my mother for a long time. Is there anything I can do if the unit is taken away or do I just have to deal with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 03:41 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Have you called your landlord and explained that you need him to do this, otherwise you'll lose the place?

Old 09-26-2014, 03:54 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Why don't you just bring a copy of the lease with you listed as an occupant or leaseholder? But to answer your question, no your landlord can't prevent you from moving. He can however make it hard to move to the unit you want at this time.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:00 PM

56 posts, read 103,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Have you called your landlord and explained that you need him to do this, otherwise you'll lose the place?
Yes. The complex has been in contact with him as well. He's just taking his time for sme reason.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:14 PM

135 posts, read 258,211 times
If you are on the lease and the term of the lease is not up, he doesn't have to let you out of it. Are you sure your mother isn't interfering because she doesn't want you to leave?

Old 09-26-2014, 04:16 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborger View Post
Yes. The complex has been in contact with him as well. He's just taking his time for sme reason.
Since time is apparently of the essence, I would call him, speak to him directly and say something along the lines of, "I'm sorry to bother you but the management of the unit I'm moving to will only hold the unit a few more days and the only thing that's holding things up is them not having the rental verification letter. I really don't want to lose the place so could you PLEASE send them the form they need?"

Old 09-27-2014, 09:00 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Take the form filled out and ready to him and ask him to sign it.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:18 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassie99 View Post
If you are on the lease and the term of the lease is not up, he doesn't have to let you out of it. Are you sure your mother isn't interfering because she doesn't want you to leave?
Anyone can break a lease, you cannot be forced to stay there, however you will be responsible for any financial damages that result from your breaking the lease, as spelled out in the lease or state law. In most states the law requires that the landlord try to mitigate those damages by finding a new tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting