Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 04:18 PM

6 posts, read 5,403 times

Advertisements

I have live in my apartment for over a year now (only because I can't afford to move!).
This unit has a terrible time with flooding. I believe it has been 12 times in the last year. The entry way floods every time it rains (so weekly) - it does it to the point that the ceiling is falling apart and the baseboards around the door get so water logged that they crumble. Maintenance "fixed" this wit new weather stripping 10ish months ago, but it did absolutely nothing. I send a maintenance request monthly for them to fix it, but it has yet to be done.

A month and a half ago, we had a major storm. Most of the units flooded and we all had to wait for the carpet guys. Well over half of my apartment flooded with 2 inches of water. The carpet guys came out the next day and extracted it. They had to take out the padding in half of my apartment and cut through the carpet in various places. I was told i would have new padding in a few days.

Well now, everyone else in the complex has had their new padding put in, but I have not.

What I do have is severely fraying carpet all long the walls and everywhere they cut. One part of my apartment just has concrete- no padding or carpet. The tack strips are constantly stabbing my feet.

I have now put in several formal requests for this to be fixed, but no such luck.

The carpet is completely ruined. It reeks of mildew around the entry way. I can't even vacuum without it tearing the carpet now.

I signed a lease for an apartment that was carpeted! Now I'm paying for an apartment that isn't even padded -_-

What can I do? I feel like I should be getting new carpet, but I don't know how I can get that.

It's also a health hazard as I have a condition that makes me randomly lose consciousness, and I can not be constantly landing on concrete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 04:23 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,684,193 times
Sorry I have no advice, merely a question. Doesn't your personal property get damaged? How is that situation even livable?

Old 09-21-2014, 04:33 PM

So far it has not been damaged. I use a carpet machine to extract the water as it comes in.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:27 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,547,222 times
Go to the first "sticky" on this page and find the link to your state landlord tenant laws. Read the section on repairs and maintenance and habitability and follow the instructions.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:28 PM

I have gone through them, with the exception of having someone come out and do an inspection.

My landlord did offer to allow me out of my lease, but only if I agreed to allow them to keep my security deposit. I don't want out of te lease simply because I can't afford to move in to another place.

Would having a hole under the front door be considered a violation of building/housing codes?

Old 09-21-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysadys View Post
My landlord did offer to allow me out of my lease, but only if I agreed to allow them to keep my security deposit. I don't want out of te lease simply because I can't afford to move in to another place.
I don't think legally your LL can even offer such a deal with the security deposit. The whole thing sounds very wrong and you really need some legal advice. If you can't afford to consult an attorney have you thought of approaching Legal Aid? Who were you thinking of having come out to do an inspection and why haven't you followed through on this?

Old 09-21-2014, 08:17 PM

I've been digging around to see who I could call to do an inspection. Particularly of the mold growing out of the ceiling.

I am trying to find a pro bono lawyer currently as the complex is still refusing to install a wheelchair ramp - they refuse to disclose reasons.

Old 09-22-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysadys View Post

I am trying to find a pro bono lawyer currently as the complex is still refusing to install a wheelchair ramp - they refuse to disclose reasons.
Does your state law mandate that the complex install a wheelchair ramp?

The Health Department usually checks for mold but they're not going to come out and check every dwelling based on a tenant's assumption. Not all mold is hazardous - in fact very few strains are. You can do a home test with a kit available at most hardware stores.

Have you contacted your local Legal Aid office? You're jumping around a lot and your priorities seem unclear between the flooding/carpeting and suspected mold issues and now lack of a wheelchair ramp. If you've indeed read your state laws, have you sent return receipt certified letters to management?

Old 09-27-2014, 07:13 PM

Sorry, I have a TBI and issues with communication.
Yes, state law mandates they put in a wheelchair ramp. The landlord says he is going to do it, then never does.

I've been in this complex for 4 years. A year and a half ago, they started renovating apartments and evicted everyone on a 2 month notice. We had to reapply for one of the renovated apartments.

I got the apartment and it flooded the first night. The bathroom vent burned out within a month. When I told the LL about it, he said that because to lease mandates that the vent be turned on when you shower, I need to not take a shower until it is fixed (this was somewhere around a year ago - I need to look at my documentation). It's still not fixed.

Every month, I write and email to them and hand them my maintenance requests (two copies, I have them sign one saying they received it so I can keep them on file). I have sent a couple of certified letters, but to no avail.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:17 PM

No I have not contacted the legal aid office. I will do that this week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting