Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 04:20 PM

296 posts, read 439,304 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

I've made a rental application with an apartment building and provided them with all details neccessary for processing of the application.

I got a call from the property manager asking for a copy of my SSN card. I'm not aware of this to be a standard procedure. I was told since the "card hasn't been established long enough" they need a copy of that.

I've already paid admin/app fee worth $200 and me backing off would most likely cost me that. What should I do in this instance - I'm happy for them to glance through the card to see it matches the application but that would be about it.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 04:42 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayr2go View Post
...since the "card hasn't been established long..."
Is that the case?

iow: Are you an immigrant? A youth? A Witness Protection Program person?
Any reason for them to wonder if you are employed legally?

Quote:
I'm happy for them to glance through the card to see it matches the application
but that would be about it.
Have you provided OTHER government issued photo ID?
All in all... this is much ado about nothing.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:51 PM

MrRational, thanks - yes, i'm a non resident alien legally admitted to the country with legal current immigration status. I've showed them my US driver's license previously when I inspected the property. My employer is a well known company in its industry so I'd be surprised if they'd consider me being illegally employed/present in the country.

So I should be safe giving them a copy of my SSN card ?

Old 09-25-2014, 05:52 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times
They already have your SSN. Why worry about having a photocopy of the card?

Old 09-25-2014, 06:26 PM

Ms_Christina, that is exactly my point. I really don't understand the point - the reason given was "SSN not established long enough" - what does that even have to do with anything. This is not a credit history or length of employment. SSN is essentially an identification document and so long as I have one, it should suffice. Besides there are all other documents to verify my existence -call my employer if you are so suspicious ! The more i think about this the more it infuriates me as I feel as though I'm a criminal of some sort

Old 09-26-2014, 07:03 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
What is your concern with giving them a photocopy of the card? You've already given them the information that is on the card, so it's not like their asking for the card for sketchy reasons. Just give them a photocopy of the card.

Honestly, there is no reason to be infuriated. You're not being treated like a criminal, you're being treated as if your SSN had not been established for a long duration.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:07 AM

HokieFan, thanks. The only reason I'm wary of giving away the photocopy is due to the apparent fear or identity theft. isn't that why everyone is always concerned about their SSN ? I guess I'm just playing into that paranoia. And yeah, I understand what you mean about the treatment rationally but if they've already got the SSN, employment details and have personally met me and also viewed my government issued ID document then I see SSN copy of little use in further establishing who I am and serving the purpose of "checks" needing to be done and more so as an overblown reflection of "we are thorough" to an incoming resident. Anyway, i'll offer them a glance at the card and nothing beyond that. Hopefully that would suffice.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:27 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times
Its not established. There are numbers issued that are not valid for employment. This info is on the card but not always accessible by non-government entities. They need to see the card. They may want to keep a copy on file. You can refuse and they can tell you to go take a hike and find someplace else to live.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:58 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,393,687 times
Quote:
HokieFan, thanks. The only reason I'm wary of giving away the photocopy is due to the apparent fear or identity theft. isn't that why everyone is always concerned about their SSN ? I guess I'm just playing into that paranoia. And yeah, I understand what you mean about the treatment rationally but if they've already got the SSN, employment details and have personally met me and also viewed my government issued ID document then I see SSN copy of little use in further establishing who I am and serving the purpose of "checks" needing to be done and more so as an overblown reflection of "we are thorough" to an incoming resident. Anyway, i'll offer them a glance at the card and nothing beyond that. Hopefully that would suffice.
It's the number that's important. Not so much the card itself.

Did you write your SSN on the application? If they wanted to steal your identity, they already have the required information. Giving them a photocopy of the card doesn't it make any more risky.

Old 09-26-2014, 11:20 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Hi guys

I've made a rental application with an apartment building and provided them with all details neccessary for processing of the application.

I got a call from the property manager asking for a copy of my SSN card. I'm not aware of this to be a standard procedure. I was told since the "card hasn't been established long enough" they need a copy of that.

I've already paid admin/app fee worth $200 and me backing off would most likely cost me that. What should I do in this instance - I'm happy for them to glance through the card to see it matches the application but that would be about it.

thanks.
This is normal and you should provide it, or you will be denied more than likely; it makes it seem like you are hiding something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting