Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 08:58 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, that is a real possibility with roaches. I would start moving your stuff out asap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 09:38 AM

156 posts, read 515,169 times
Great. I'm probably over reacting.. I mean I've seen a few bugs, I can get my apartment treated in a few days, and I move out in a month. But the thought of bringing them with me scares me a bit. I've taken a lot of comfort in knowing my new place is a brand new building where I'll be the first tenant. This makes me more uneasy now.

I wonder if my LL will just let me go. My original lease end date was supposed to be next week anyway but I was forced into M-M for another 1.5 months. Which was fine, but now I'm possibly having roach issues? Just let me go already.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibsong002 View Post
Great. I'm probably over reacting.. I mean I've seen a few bugs, I can get my apartment treated in a few days, and I move out in a month. But the thought of bringing them with me scares me a bit. I've taken a lot of comfort in knowing my new place is a brand new building where I'll be the first tenant. This makes me more uneasy now.

I wonder if my LL will just let me go. My original lease end date was supposed to be next week anyway but I was forced into M-M for another 1.5 months. Which was fine, but now I'm possibly having roach issues? Just let me go already.
I am just paranoid when it comes to things like this. I had a friend who was given a beautiful fish aquarium by a co-worker, so he brings it to his place and sets it up, and started noticing roaches out of no where. Turns out the roaches were in the tank, and he had an infestation after that.

Do you have a new place to move?

Old 10-03-2014, 09:55 AM

As am I. I really hate bugs. Making me sick just thinking about it. Granted I've only seen a few total in the 6 months of being here.. but I guess you never know where they could be hidden. But just as well if they're hidden in something I'll be moving.. there's not exactly anything I can do about it is there?

I do have a new place to go to. It's being held for me until I can get out of my current place.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:13 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
You really do need to relax. Wherever you move and whatever the climate there are going to be bugs of one kind or another. Just pack up your stuff and move and accept the fact that the next place is going to have the odd bug wandering around too. You keep them to a minimum by cleaning up after yourself and not leaving food crumbs laying around, etc., while roach and ant traps are readily available in any supermarket and hardware store if you see them around. They're not going to swarm and eat you up.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:28 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
You can move now. They can't stop you. However, they can enforce rent payment through your lease expiration date, as long as they don't rerent before then. But they won't stop you from moving out. They can't do that. I guess you just want to stay in the old place to avoid paying for both places for 1 month or so?

Old 10-03-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You can move now. They can't stop you. However, they can enforce rent payment through your lease expiration date, as long as they don't rerent before then. But they won't stop you from moving out. They can't do that. I guess you just want to stay in the old place to avoid paying for both places for 1 month or so?
Correct. I'm paying rent there til middle of November, so as it is I'm paying an extra half months rent on both places. Moving now would be too expensive, unless they just let me go (which I doubt it since they wouldn't before).

And yes, I'm sure I could relax. It's not a huge bother that I will occasionally see bugs. But the fact that they're roaches makes me a bit more uneasy, as they could easily get into my stuff and cause infestations. Most other bugs I encounter won't do that.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgibsong002 View Post
Correct. I'm paying rent there til middle of November, so as it is I'm paying an extra half months rent on both places. Moving now would be too expensive, unless they just let me go (which I doubt it since they wouldn't before).

And yes, I'm sure I could relax. It's not a huge bother that I will occasionally see bugs. But the fact that they're roaches makes me a bit more uneasy, as they could easily get into my stuff and cause infestations. Most other bugs I encounter won't do that.
I'm with you on that. I moved out of a place due to an ant infestation that wouldn't go away...after three exterminator visits!

Old 10-03-2014, 11:50 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Spray boxes as u pack tape boxes really good. Wipe down everything u pack!

Old 10-03-2014, 01:44 PM

Also Container Store sells these airtight watertight containers...nothing can get in these containers. They are amazing...I have many...they come in all different sizes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting