Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 01:09 AM

2 posts, read 16,980 times

Advertisements

I complained about my noisy neighbor to my manager before. She said she would talk to her and that's it. Couple days ago they kept banging on the walls and floors for at least an hr, I knocked on the neighbor's door and asked her why she was banging. Her English is not good but I am sure she understood, then she says 'you smoke'.. I was shocked, at that point I asked her of she had been banging on the walls on purpose because I smoke cigarettes,, she again said "you smoke heaa" ..her daughter was there and she was trying to apologize from me, while this lady was sarcastically asking me 'oh we bother you?'
I said I can bother you too but I came here knocked on your door in a respectful manner.
I told her this apartment was not smoke free , but I only smoke few cigarettes in a day (not a heavy smoker). She tried to walk away and shut the door..her daughter holds the door and keeps apologizing and says they will stop making noise.
Later that night more banging on the wall and it has been going ever since.
I mentioned my conversation with the neighbor to the apt manager. She said she will talk to the neighbor but she can't so anything else.
I can kick the heck out of that wall too, but I feel bad for the kids. And I am trying to resolve this in a civilized manner.
I haven't talked to my attorney yet, but I know it won't be cheap to take this to court. If there is another way to deal with it I would like to know.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 06:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,418,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyedrenterfromla View Post
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
My suggestion may appear to be terse but there are literally dozens of noise-related threads on this forum and there really is nothing to be added to what's already been said and repeated many times over. Your situation is not unlike many others and your best option (after reading other threads and your state landlord tenant laws - linked in the first "sticky" on this forum) is to plan on moving.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:27 AM

9,881 posts, read 9,480,213 times
Even though you CAN smoke in your apartment, if you want the banging to stop, then take your smoking outside. See what happens.

Old 10-01-2014, 10:11 AM

575 posts, read 1,459,782 times
Is smoking indoors worth the frustration of this lady banging on your walls? I would start smoking outside (away from the lady's unit and windows as best you can) and see what happens. If she doesn't stop after that, I'd tell the LL that something needs to be done because at that point, I'd consider it harassment.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:21 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,858,805 times
I agree that her banging on your walls is annoying, but I bet smelling your nasty smoke is far more annoying (and far more dangerous) to her.

Your landlord already told you what she will and won't do; now its up to you. If you want the banging to stop, stop smoking inside.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:10 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,929,966 times
Bullpucky! The neighbor can not dictate if you smoke or not. You are being deprived of quiet enjoyment of your home. She wants itnsmoke free them she needs to live in a non smoking building. Yup her intent is to drive you out. Stand firm.. keep a log of times and lenghts of her noise and file a complaint via housing court that she stop. Remeber she doesnt pay YOUR rent. I would also notify the PM that what is happening is going to land them in court as well.
Does she(neighbor) bang walls at night? Call the cops on her. She needs a ticket nfor noise violations. Remember you have rights to. They include your right to live a calm PEACEFUL QUIET life in your apt. Your smoking is your business.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
The neighbor can not dictate if you smoke or not. She wants itnsmoke free them she needs to live in a non smoking building.
Can't argue with that.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:50 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,929,966 times
I had to come back to this after I thought about it and NOW I have questions and some other ideas ..
IF the OP isnt a heavy smoker but the neighbor smells it how is it getting to her? possible shared heater ducts? I can understand some of her wall banging if its a nasty foul cigar smell but eeh even that doesnt give her the right to be a problem..
OP have you tried to light incense or uses a special ashtray that helps pull the smoke in and filters it there? ..

what else causes her to bang and be a problem.. music? cooking odor?
Is it possible she has another smoker on her otherside wall and smells that one but takes it out on you because she saw you with a cig elsewhere and blames you for all of it ..?
she still cant do what she is doing .. flat out her rights stop at your wall so as long as the building isnt a smoke free unit she has to learn to live with it or move ..

Old 10-02-2014, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 16,980 times
Yes sir, I have one of those ashtrays you mentioned. I used to use incense, I guess I can start again.
No music or odor, but lets say I had a cigarette 2 hers ago at 9pm, she would still bang at 11pm..
Here is a part of my log to give you a better idea..

"It is 8:34pm and there was a series of banging on thefloor, it lasted 5 minutes.
9:20 loud banging on the floors , it lasted 10 minutes, nowslightly banging continues , not as frequent.
10:42 banging on the walls continues a..higher intensity ,10:57 still banging on the walls, noises stopped at 11:30pm"

I just don't get the people here who say go outside to smoke if you want the banging to stop. I do go outside sometimes (when the weather is nice), but when I was looking for a rental I knew I had a bad habit of smoking and I specifically rented a place so I can smoke my god dang nasty cigarettes comfortably in my home.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:21 PM

Switch to ecigs. You'll still get the nicotine but none of the other nasty stinky additives which make everything reek. I smoked for 50 years and switched over a year ago. I don't smell, my clothes don't smell, my home doesn't smell, I don't cough any more, I look and feel years younger and I don't bother anyone else ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting